ridiculous finder lag

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zortrium, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

In the past couple of weeks, Finder on my MacBook has been ridiculously laggy in doing just about anything. For instance, if I try to rename a file, I can usually count on having to wait anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds for the new name to appear on the Desktop. The same thing often occurs when moving files. Finder also constantly beachballs for ~5 seconds, which extends to things like save dialogs in other applications -- if I open up a Save as... dialog, the app usually hangs for awhile waiting for Finder to figure itself out. During these periods of lag, the computer is otherwise 100% responsive -- I can use other apps, I can open other apps via LaunchBar or the Dock (as long as I don't try to use Finder, which is busy beachballing), and my CPU usage sits at around 90% idle. No problems at all except for Finder constantly beachballing and lagging. Performing disk tasks like moving and renaming files via Terminal complete instantaneously, so it doesn't look to be a problem with my disk.

When I started writing this post, Finder was "Preparing to move" one file, and only just now finished. So obviously this is abnormal. I don't recall exactly when these problems started, but it's possible it was around the time I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

I imagine that reinstalling Snow Leopard would fix these problems, but I'd rather not resort to that. I've got another computer running the same software as far as I can tell that doesn't exhibit any of these problems. Any ideas for things I could try to resolve this?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. Zortrium thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, did that a week ago. Didn't seem to help at all.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Do you have external drives hooked up?
    And is there indexing going on (black dot in the top right finder symbol next to the clock

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Had a very similar problem with my daughter's MacBook a few months ago. Reformatting the HD and reinstalling from a clone sorted it.

6. stillgreen7 macrumors newbie

I have very similar issues. This machine (MBPro 2.66 GHz) is one month old. I migrated everything from 1st Gen. MB Pro. The finder hangs up regularly, especially during "get info", which takes 30 or more seconds to stop beachballing. Verifying disc permissions does not reveal any wrong permissions.