Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhDflops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Ok so i have an iMac, I don't really know that much things about it (,but if someone can help and need more info. i'll get further into the iMac details .) And I play a little Sandbox game Minecraft. Maybe a little too much. And instead of the Magic Mouse I have replace it with a Microsoft Mouse that you can attach to the USB. Now since it's summer I have been having some night where I play 6 hours STRAIGHT. And it gets over heated and my Microsoft Mouse loses connection with the USB so I have to replug it and it will work for 5 min's minimum and lose connection again!:eek: But it gets worse! After series of replugging the Mouse, all the USB ports lose connection! I have to let it cool off and turn it on again! :eek: After a month of doing that the iMac has been heating up rather pretty fast and the USB's get used up pretty fast. Wont even last 1hr and 30mins... AND NOW the iMac Keyboard turns off with the Mouse at Exactly the same time!!!! :eek::eek::eek: ALL I WANNA DO IS PLAY :mad::mad::mad: Please help! I know its a Mac problem! Cause the USB's don't work

Last edited:

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
I had the same problem with my Logitech mouse and keyboard. Here is the solution: Get rid of your Microsoft mouse and replace it with the Apple Magic Mouse.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I had the same problem with my Logitech mouse and keyboard. Here is the solution: Get rid of your Microsoft mouse and replace it with the Apple Magic Mouse.

Could be some weird compatibility issue, but it is strange that the keyboard gets affected by the mouse. Many users, including me, are using other mice with the Apple Wireless Keyboard with no problems.

Seeing as your keyboard is disconnecting, and that is Bluetooth, it sounds like you're having serious issues with the USB interface. The Bluetooth adaptor is connected internally through the USB interface. I would take it back to Apple for diagnosis and repair after trying Hamilton1963's suggestion.

Heat could be an issue, but I'd be very surprised if it was only affecting one part of the whole system. If you have anything hot, lamps, direct sunlight etc, keep them away from the iMac, and pointing away.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
If it were me, the first thing I'd do it some basic troubleshooting. Try using a different mouse — any other mouse that you happen to have lying around. If the problem persists, you can be pretty sure the MS mouse isn't the cause. Repeat with a different keyboard, etc.

If it really is due to overheating and your iMac is under warranty, complain to Apple. The problem is obviously unacceptable.

I've used Logitech mice almost exclusively for over a decade with all sorts of Macs and never had the problem the OP is describing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.