Ridiculous Repair Costs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kg1982, Jul 9, 2012.

1. kg1982 macrumors newbie

Hello... My Mac book Air wouldn't turn on. The keyboard was stuck, but Apple is insisting that this is my fault and that I must pay 800 dollars to have it repaired. I really don't have that sort of money, but need my computer. Has anyone had a similar situation? What have you done?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i'm guessing that you didn't have applecare/warranty?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like they're talking about replacing the logic board, which will run in that neighborhood. Did they say why they believe it's your fault? Did you spill something on your Mac?

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

More information would help, since you have said virtually nothing.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

A faulty logic board does indeed run $755 at the Apple Store. If it is truly just the keyboard, then it will be cheaper, but since everything is so integrated, a spill on the keyboard will usually short the logic board, requiring a full replacement.

At that price, you might consider seeing if you can find a used unit on eBay and swap the SSD. Otherwise, see if another Apple authorized repair center would quote you less.

7. kg1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have AppleCare, but no idea what happened. They are insisting it is my fault because it's a little damp. I didn't spill anything on it recently and it was working fine last night. I just cannot afford to pay that much for a computer. Am I just screwed or have people gotten their computers fixed for cheaper?

----------

What is an SSD?

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

if it is damp....something spilled on it.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a little damped? what does that mean

Something was spilled apparently. Even if you didn't do it, it is your fault/liability and Apple won't replace for free

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter when the spill occurred. Sometimes the damage isn't apparent immediately.
    If it's indeed a logic board replacement, I doubt you'll find it much cheaper elsewhere, if at all.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

ok
    BUT, you did spill right?

Screwed. You spilled. It voided the warranty - even if it didn't happen last night.

SSD - solid state drive.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

The SSD is essentially the hard drive. What year is your MacBook Air?

It is possible that it got water damage from humidity. In the future, you might consider purchasing a SquareTrade warranty, as they have optional coverage for accidental damage. In the meantime, check and see if you can find a repair center that can quote you a lower price. Alternatively, you might be able to find a logic board on eBay.

----------

AppleCare wouldn't cover accidental damage.

13. kg1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was damp because I cleaned the computer with a rag after it wouldn't start. I don't remember spilling anything. It's because the computer is a cheap piece of garbage. I've had issues with it since I got it.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

Oops..

15. righteye macrumors 6502

Yes it was his fault "have not spilt anything on it RECENTLY!!'

would an external keyboard by pass the problem?

HA! brentsg you beat me to it!

Edit, it was the computers fault it threw something on itself!

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

then it is a sign that you needed a new one. Personally, i would never pay $800 to repair a laptop unless it was a 3K retina

17. kg1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm... I don't have money growing on trees. It's six months old. It was a Xmas gift.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Wait until the dampness is gone, and take it to a different Apple Store. As long as it wasn't enough to trigger the humidity sensor strips, they should then take care of it for you.

Failure due to relative humidity shouldn't invalidate warranties. The machines should be constructed well enough to prevent damage from that. :p

19. biohead macrumors 6502

Unless you did spill something on it in the past, which would have already tripped the water sensors and now the damage is starting to come to life?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't help. Once the moisture sensors are tripped, there's no reversing that.

21. kg1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember what happened in March, so I cannot tell you what happened then, but to the best of my knowledge I didn't spill anything. All I know is it was working fine until last night and stopped. But yeah... Let's all defend Apple for putting out cheap crap that falls apart so easily. My other Apple was still working in 2012 (a 2008 model) and that one got jostled around quite a bit. I even dropped it a few times.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, let's all blame Apple for user carelessness. Name one computer manufacturer who makes waterproof notebooks. Dropping or jostling is very different from spilling. It's not Apple's fault if a user spills something on their Mac. It doesn't mean the computer is cheap; it means the user is careless.

23. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

His post was after mine. Derp.

----------

Yet you remember the month? Peculiar.

24. KPOM, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

Apple has moisture sensors inside the machines that detect liquid damage. It sounds like they were tripped. You can try taking it to another Apple Store to see if they have a different assessment. Note that they might have quoted you a higher figure assuming they need to replace the logic board. If it is truly just the keyboard it will be less.

Water damage will destroy any notebook very quickly, as it can cause a short, or eventually cause corrosion that could lead to a short. A few "business class" notebooks have water resistant keyboards, but even they aren't foolproof. What might have happened was that a little water got in at some point, and eventually led to corrosion. Ask the store specifically what is damaged and what led them to conclude it was damage and not a defect.

I use a keyboard cover and also have a rider on my renter's insurance policy to cover accidental damage (along with theft, etc.). It runs $60/year. It's worth considering for the future.

25. kg1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is called an example.. I also don't remember what happened in January or April.

----------

1. The darn thing was damp because I used a damp towel to get dust off. I thought that might help the situation.

2. I've had issues booting up the computer before this happened the thing got stuck earlier.