Ridiculous Spelling Warnings?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Erasmus, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hi all,

Is anyone else having the occasional spelling warning for incidental words like "by" or "it's"?

i.e. red squiggle under the innocuous word, and if I highlight it, it suggests similar words (that either don't work grammatically, or are just completely wrong in context).

I have had two or so over the past week, so it's uncommon, but it is weird that it's happening at all. Once just now in Mail, and earlier this replying to a post in Safari, so it seems it's the inbuilt OSX spell checker.

2. robk64 macrumors newbie

robk64

Yep, I've noticed the same thing. Happens a lot with contractions or any word with an apostrophe.

3. auxbuss macrumors regular

auxbuss

There's a lot of discussion about this among writers.

The Scrivener (well-known writing app) forum has a thread with examples. Scrivener's author has filed a bug with Apple.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm seeing this also. Yesterday it had the red squiggle under "the". So it must be a bug.

5. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Yeah happened to me in Dutch as well. When I right clicked the word no suggestions came up though. Just a red line.

6. auxbuss macrumors regular

auxbuss

Crikey! This didn't get fixed in the Mojave update.

7. Nigel Goodman macrumors member

Nigel Goodman

This is definitely an attempted grammar correction (even though grammar checking is turned off). See what the spell-check window says is the problem.

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 16.56.58.png

8. FilipeTeixeira macrumors regular

Same here. I can't type "too" and "were" without having the suggestion to change it. No idea about what's happening with it.

9. auxbuss macrumors regular

auxbuss

What's so sad is that this is not a bug, but a large-scale absence of education. An entire corporation is unable to distinguish spelling from grammar. It's like a drawing app providing black when you select white. Or being given a puck to play football. Or a chess app allowing you to move a Bishop like a Rook. It's so utterly incorrect in the domain as to be incomprehensible.

10. FilipeTeixeira macrumors regular

Probably Apple knows something we don't and in your case they are just trying to say that we were invented by Shakespeare :D.