Ridiculous Spelling Warnings?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
Hi all,

Is anyone else having the occasional spelling warning for incidental words like "by" or "it's"?

i.e. red squiggle under the innocuous word, and if I highlight it, it suggests similar words (that either don't work grammatically, or are just completely wrong in context).

I have had two or so over the past week, so it's uncommon, but it is weird that it's happening at all. Once just now in Mail, and earlier this replying to a post in Safari, so it seems it's the inbuilt OSX spell checker.

robk64

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Hi all,

Is anyone else having the occasional spelling warning for incidental words like "by" or "it's"?

i.e. red squiggle under the innocuous word, and if I highlight it, it suggests similar words (that either don't work grammatically, or are just completely wrong in context).

I have had two or so over the past week, so it's uncommon, but it is weird that it's happening at all. Once just now in Mail, and earlier this replying to a post in Safari, so it seems it's the inbuilt OSX spell checker.
Yep, I've noticed the same thing. Happens a lot with contractions or any word with an apostrophe.

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Yeah happened to me in Dutch as well. When I right clicked the word no suggestions came up though. Just a red line.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
This is definitely an attempted grammar correction (even though grammar checking is turned off). See what the spell-check window says is the problem.

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 16.56.58.png

Reactions: Weaselboy

FilipeTeixeira

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2013
Same here. I can't type "too" and "were" without having the suggestion to change it. No idea about what's happening with it.

auxbuss

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
UK
What's so sad is that this is not a bug, but a large-scale absence of education. An entire corporation is unable to distinguish spelling from grammar. It's like a drawing app providing black when you select white. Or being given a puck to play football. Or a chess app allowing you to move a Bishop like a Rook. It's so utterly incorrect in the domain as to be incomprehensible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.