Ridiculous that there's no MMS on 2G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Jun 18, 2009.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

The 2G iPhone can support MMS just fine. Much less advanced phones are able to handle this functionality, and if my phone can play NFSU, it can bloody display a picture in a message list!

What hardware issue could there possibly be with the 2G iPhone supporting this basic piece of functionality? As I see it, it's just Apple/O2 forcing people to upgrade.

I did intend to get the 3G S, but as a customer I am disappointed.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only thing I can think is that MMS uses a data connection and therefore on the original iPhone (as with other GPRS/EDGE phones) will prevent phone calls coming in / going out whilst it's sending or receiving them. This could lead to a lot of complaints about calls going straight through to answering service, etc.

Alternatively it could just be Apple trying to force people into upgrading ;)

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Hardware issue?

Um, NO.

It's called Apple trying to convince you to buy new hardware. That is the hardware issue at hand here. :D

Kind of the same is Voice Control only being on the 3GS. I am willing to bet a regular 3G can handle it, but Apple chose not to include it in the 3G update.

4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

It is a shame but they had to leave the feature out simply to get folk to upgrade their handsets.

The killer is that my iPhone 3G can send & receive MMS on 3.0 WHILE 3G IS TURNED OFF AND IT ONLY HAS A 2G NETWORK!!!

If they let the 2G have all the features then that lowers the incentive to upgrade to a 3G or 3GS.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sheesh, just Jailbreak it and install SwirlyMMS.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes that's known since day 1.

People who have more advanced technology use email instead.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

Agreed. I remember 2007. Good times...

8. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that really sucks. As I say, I am going to upgrade to the 3G S anyhow, but this doesn't seem fair to me. It's crazy to think that a device as advanced as the iPhone, and as touted as being advanced, cannot handle MMS.