Ridiculously cheap SSD question / Predictably priced Hybrid drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Draythor, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Draythor, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/500GB-Seaga...MQ7Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1293104870&sr=8-4

Can this be right? 500GB (or 500 GB if you're a pedant) of SSD storage for £100?

I'm looking to upgrade my Late '09 13" MBP hard drive from 160GB. I'll pick this up if it really is this cheap and will work well with my Mac.

Anyone got one of these?

Cheers.

EDIT: It's a hybrid drive. I'm still interested to know how good it is though. Any experience/alternatives?

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a hybrid drive. 4gb ssd is mated to a 500gb mechanical drive.

3. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

*Facepalm*

Thanks, mate. I'm an idiot.

Still would like to know whether it's a worthwhile purchase.

4. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

It's a good drive, but many users have had problems. Seems to be firmware related, and release 24 appears to have sorted most of those people out.

I find that it's quite a bit quicker all round from my previous 500Gb 5400rpm drive, and sometimes hugely quicker (e.g. almost instantaneous startup of some commonly used apps, e.g. Safari).

Drawbacks? A little louder than my previous drive, battery life impacted due to the drive apparently not spinning down (despite OSX power settings selections) and the spectre of unforseen problems down the line that some others have encountered...

Of course, I discovered all of this AFTER I'd ordered it... Doh! But, to be fair, it is running well for me right now (after two or three weeks).

5. kimbo1986 macrumors newbie

I bought the drive a few weeks back and first impressions was damn this thing is loud and i had really long bootup times. Well i had to clear something ram i forgot had to to with recognizing boot disc (just restarted and held a couple buttons and it was done) from there the bootup was insanley fast. i was actually going to return the drive because it was so loud (i do audio recording with my mbp) but after about a full days use (drive learned usage) it became very quiet, almost silent. Since then i havnt looked back, for the money ($100) i dont think you can get any better.

I did see a 2TB barracuda 7200rpm yeaterday for the same price yesterday, anyone have any thoughts on this? I am comming feom the stock 5400 rpm drive so i cant compare the MomentusXT with any other 7200rpm drive.

Sent from my SGS-T959 running on Obsidian v5 / DoW 1.3ghz / OCLF

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you're talking about the ST32000641AS, it'd be pretty challenging to fit a 3.5" drive inside a MBP... Just sayin'. :D

7. kimbo1986 macrumors newbie

Doh! I thought it said 2.5 hehe.. i was wondering why the box was so bulky too haha

Sent from my SGS-T959 running on Obsidian v5 / DoW 1.3ghz / OCLF