ridiculously large log files, and all applications are gone.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phuong, Apr 28, 2007.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

and i lost all programs in "Application" folder too :/

im using a Mac PRo, 2.66, 4GB ram.
    yesterday when i was using FF, it suddenly stopped working. the whole computer freezed (with the mouse becoming a spinning beach ball)
    and then something came up so i have to leave my room, totally forgot about it.
    this morning when i came back, the computer still didnt work so i force it shut down (depressing the power button for a few seconds). and everything seemed fine, until i tried to open Parallels and got the message "there is not enough disk space". i felt weird because last time i checked, i had at least 80GB free. but i checked it anyways. to my surprised, my hdd has only 500MB free. so i downloaded Disk Inventory X to check where all my disk went.

when i tried to copy Disk Inventory X to the Application folder, it took quite long. i just thought it's probably due to the lack of free space, so i waited patiently. then a message came up saying "there's alreaady a folder called "disk inventory x.app, would you like to overwrite it?" so i thought, another weird thing. but it's probably because i already had this program before. but i clicked "yes" anyways because i think this is probably a newer version. and here it comes. it was trying to copy over 10GB of data. from wehre to where, i had no idea, but i tried to stop it with no success. nontheless, when it's done, my Application folder is empty. well, almost, as shown in this picture. the those applications that survived were the ones that were running.
    [​IMG]

i checked the trast but nothing was there. the Disk inventory program weren't there either so i went back to the dmg file and ran it straight from tehre, and here's the result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS: what's even weirder is that, while im writing this thread, the HDD's free space slowly goes back down to 1GB, as you can see in the first picture. and it's still going down. i couldnt even change the captured images to jpg because Preview was gone.
    what should i do now? do i have to reinstall OSX? and in that case, should i or should i not remove/restore Bootcamp partition (it's a 32GB partition. i installed Bootcamp when i first got my MP. then i bought Parallels and never used the bootcamp partition again, even in Parallels)

2. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You really need to find out what's being logged. There's a lot of useful information in the log files that I wouldn't delete just yet.

Open Console and view the system.log and asl.log and see what's filing the logs.

By the way, asl.log is a system log containing more information than system.log, so if both these logs are filling up, I would be concerned.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When completely out of space, OSX can sometimes overwrite files for virtual memory purposes. Hopefully you haven't lost your apps as a result. Nevertheless, see if you can find them with the demo of Data Rescue II. The excessively large log file problem has been around for a while and I'm surprised Apple hasn't done something about it, although I've never seen it get this bad where it may have deleted things.

5. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

i deleted the asl and console log files this morning and emptied the trash so i cant check it now. but the system.log file is still here (it couldn't be deleted) so i used onyx to check it. and out of its 22GB, there's only 5 lines of text.

anyways, i just copied all applications from my MBP over (since i install the same applications on both machines, and there weren't many of them). i know this isn't quite right, but they've been running without a problem so far, including Firefox, Parallels, CS3, and WC3. iCal's schedules are still intact, and iTunes recognizes itunes library. a few applications such as Preview and VLC tell me that they're running for the first time.

the only thing that doesn't run is Activity Monitor.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You should be able to drag the system.log file to the Trash, then restart, then empty the Trash. As for Activity Monitor, try trashing the preferences file (com.apple.ActivityMonitor.plist). :)

7. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks madjew. i managed to delete system.log and gained back 22GB.
    but Activity Monitor still doesn't work. i deleted com.apple.activitymonitor.plist

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you open a new user account, does it work there? :)

9. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is what's in console.log
    Code:
    2007-04-30 07:01:10.706 Activity Monitor[710] The tool is not setuid root - please repair the privileges
    so i set all privileges to Read & Write (for admin, owner and others) but it still not running. i'm not sure what "setuid root" means though.