Ridiculously loud noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattopotamus, May 30, 2017.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Today when I started up my Mac it made the loudest noise I have ever heard come from a laptop. Have you ever seen dumb and dumber? When he says, "want to hear the most annoying sound the the world?" That is the noise that came from my Mac. A crazy loud beep/buzz. Any ideas what that would be? Everything I have found online mentions a fan noise, but this almost sounded like an amber alert coming from my Mac.

2. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm guessing no one has ever heard this before. It was a first for me (5th Mac). Scared the hell out of the people I work with.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How did you stop the noise?
    Did you try an NVRAM reset when you restarted?
    Did you try to discover where the noise was coming from? (left or right rear, or near the front of the case?

Best question - How old is your MacBook Pro?
    Do you know if it has a spinning hard drive? A spinning hard drive, with mechanical problems, can make some really strange noises. I remember one that I had in a service shop a few years ago that sounded just like an ambulance siren (that two-tone one that you would hear in Europe!)

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Was this speaker output or from the mechanical workings of the machine?

5. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Was it an amber alert? Those have shown up on my laptop since I am connected to my phone

6. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

Maybe something got into fans? ... just a wild random guess...

7. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It was a noise from the actual computer, not the speakers. It happened twice yesterday after I was docked. I put the computer to sleep and then disconnected the adapter, and the next time I opened the lid it made that awful noise.

8. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Just an update if anyone ever has this problem. The speakers were broken so they replaced the laptop. I guess the noise was from the actual speakers. It was the 2016 Pro.

9. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

That's terrible to hear (no pun intended), I'm glad it was resolved and you received a replacement! Just curious, did you get any "technical" details as to what the speaker issue was, was it both or just one side, etc.?

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Glad you got it worked out. Had you purchased extra AC for the device or was it covered under the normal warranty?

11. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

covered under the normal 1 year manufacture warranty. I actually had it replaced a few months ago because the keyboard had the sunken key issue. Damn new designs and their issues :p

With they way Macs are now, it seems like they always just replace instead of repair them.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Easier on the front end. They'll repair and resell as refurbished, no doubt.

13. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Good point, plus it makes the customers much happier. It is my work machine, so I would have asked for a loaner if they wanted to send it off for repair.