Riding the megabus with my macbook pro

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tempusfugit, Jun 24, 2009.

1. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Right now im browsing the web for free during my tedious 8 hour trip from minneapolis to chicago on the megabus, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed.

Has anyone ever used the service before?

I never remember buses having wifi in the past couple of years.

ok speed considering right now im in the middle of nowhere, wisconsin

Attached Files:

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I used the wifi on the Bolt Bus from New York to Boston on occasion--that's a 4-5 hour trip. I typically don't bring my macbook pro but just use my iphone to surf. However, they screwed it up recently when they added a screen where you have to agree to the terms of service. The screen is not compatible with Safari on the iphone and there is no way to agree to those terms. Therefore, you can't use the wifi on an iphone anymore. I'll be using Mega bus next time.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Never taken megabus but I've taken trains in Europe with free wifi, which was really nice.

Wonder how the bus hooks up to the internet though...?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Same way as an iPhone?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gah, your bus internet is faster than my home internet :D. I wish the buses had wifi around here. The ride to university (an hour each way) would have been so much faster if I could have used them there internets. Ho hum!

6. tempusfugit thread starter macrumors 65816

If I'm not mistaken, megabus has its origins in England or somewhere else in western Europe.

Anyway, just a little update:

The bus driver, after we stopped at a travel stop with a taco bell and wendy's announced that he was going to put something on the TV (dvd player hooked up in bus) and that we (the riders) are not to talk about it elsewhere. I was wondering what kind of movie he was about to put on....

As it turns out, he's playing a DVD rip of Xmen Origins: Wolverine.

Pretty hilarious. I get to see the movie without waiting for it to come on on dvd now.... so far its ~

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

8. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

HAHA He seems like a cool guy. I would have bought him a coffee or something for a move like that

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

So, is the Megabus anything like the Magic Bus? Bus, the Magic Bus.

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Definitely a great service: I've used the Bolt between Boston and NYC a few times, and it makes the trip go by so so so much faster!

11. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I've never heard of the Megabus. Anyway, have fun in Chicago!

12. MegaMillions macrumors regular

Me and my dad took that minneapolis/chicago trip on mega bus back in May.

We had an.... interesting experience with the driver. Long story short, he treated us as if we were black people on a bus in 1905. :confused:

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Can you get that kind of speed on an iPhone while cruising through 'middle of nowhere wisconsin'? Debatable.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

1905? White or black, you'd be hella lucky to be on a bus!

15. mooseboy18 macrumors newbie

Solution to Bolt Bus iPhone Wifi problem

I recently rode the Bolt Bus to/from DC with my iPhone and like others, had major trouble at first getting onto the Wifi, because the "Agree to Terms of Service" page apparently couldn't be scrolled to the "Accept" button.

Then, after a little researching my iPhone unit itself, I found the solution:

The Terms of Service are a window embedded WITHIN a window; therefore, they need to be scrolled using TWO FINGERS simultaneously. I recommend zooming in to make this easier. Just place your fingers slightly apart and scroll with both of them to the bottom of the agreement (which is a bit lengthy). Touch the "accept" button, and you're on your way!

Side note: I actually found the bus's wireless network slower than just using 3G, and in the end I went back to the 3G network instead. Also, the Bolt Bus router makes you re-agree to the terms about once every half hour, which often causes Safari to stall on a page without explanation.

16. tempusfugit thread starter macrumors 65816

I was the only white person on the bus and I was actually asked to move from the front of it. this thread is a little old BTW.

im not racist at all either, just the truth. I've been the only white person on megabus more than once. whatever its cheap and its pretty nice id say.

I did get offered drugs by 4 different people when we got off the bus at union station though. pretty funny.

17. ethical macrumors 68000

Add 50 years and that makes more sense. Add 51 years and it doesnt.

I've used a mega bus here in the UK before.... didnt have internet and the A/C was broken :(