Ridley Scott will direct Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Alien is a franchise long tarnished. I loved the first two. Saw the first one on original cinema release. Good to see that life goes on after... or before Ripley.

[​IMG]

Rarr.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yet another example of hollywood being incapable of doing anything new but instead trotting out a sequel/prequel. They should have put this franchise out to pasture a long time ago.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If they stick to the first two movies in terms of the real suspense vs. just the fancy special effects, it might be a good thing.

MIGHT be.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't like the "prequel" trent. However, since Ridley Scott is directing it will at least be a quality move. I'm excited.

In truth, the last two "sequels" were also prequels weren't they?

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oooh!

http://upc.*************/uploads/catmacros/longcatAlien.gif

(with apologies)

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this.
    Mind, it'd be difficult to be worse than Alien IV: "Mommy Dearest"

At least it will be directed by Ridley Scott, and I hope they bring back Giger's designs.

What next? Blade Runner II?

7. timerollson macrumors 65816

Did someone kill all the talent in Hollyweird? Hollyweird has been putting out nothing but superhero/comic book movies, 70s/80s horror remakes, bad adaptations of Japanese horror flicks, 115 minute Michael Bay explosions and remakes of childhood nostalgia (Karate Kid, anyone?).

There are no new ideas anymore. 50 years from now, some director is going to remake Spider-Man 3. It's a vicious cycle.:confused:

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Bah. I go to the movies to be entertained - nothing more. If they want to remake something and I enjoy it - more power to them. They rebooted Batman and I really dug it. Same thing with Bond. Like BV, I loved the first two films, and I hope Ridley Scott can bring it back to what it once was.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Sounds interesting. I've always wanted to know the back story to the derelict ship.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

For example, I really liked the new Star Trek movie.

Nice pic!

Dudette might be more appropriate. :)

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Why thank you, and great picture! Snoopy is my favorite pilot. Well, after my wife, of course. :)

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yea...we'll see if they even do that...i mean a REAL prequel would setup the story for the Alien movie.

But somehow, I wonder if it will have anything to do with the Nostromo timeline/plot.

Explaining the entire LV-426 crash landing (where the guy gets the facehugger in the giant cavern of eggs, which one would assume was a hangar bay for the derelict ship) which sets up Alien and Aliens stories, would be nice.

Seeing the alien in the flesh which was decomposing "at the helm" in that ship would be nice. Id like to know what the creatures/intelligence that "caught" the Xenomorph and crashed to LV-426 looked like.

In other words, THIS MOVIE SHOULD HAVE LITTLE IF ANY HUMANS IN IT! Except maybe towards the end as "The Company" gets word of the Nostromo receiving the "signal" from the derelict ship. Otherwise, it RUINS the entire "Alien Universe" because as the story was told in the original, it leave no room for humans up until that point.

but, you try an pitch an Alien movie withou humans...I dont think youd get far.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

To me a REAL prequel would deal with the alien that gives the film it's name.
    :rolleyes:

It'd be easier to film too as you wouldn't need the original cast.

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Er, no, they were sequels...Ripley dying would kinda make it hard for them to be prequels.... Although as far as I'm concerned they don't exist, since Alien3 was just lame and uninteresting, so I didn't bother with the fourth. A prequel actually seems like it could be a good idea, since it can potentially "continue" the series in a good way, that doesn't depend on the last two (which, as I may have mentioned, don't exist ;) ).

--Eric

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This is great news. Sci-fi is making a nice comeback.

I was a little more excited about R. Scott's upcoming film The Forever War.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

This has the potential to either be very, very good, or very, very bad. Unfortunately, I fear the latter.

The first two Alien films were fantastic – albeit very different – films. However, the other films in the series and especially the Predator link ups were nowhere near the same standard.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yey; a new Alien film.
    Boo; bloody Hollywood. And I imagine it will be poor too. But I hope I'm wrong, some Hollywood prequel films haven't been too bad recently. And yes I'm completely basing this on Star Trek.

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What the heck are you guys talking about? Mankind has been telling and retelling the same stories since before Gilgamesh.

You guys would make for pretty poor Vikings. "Beowulf? Man, we've heard this story before! I don't care if he is fighting a dragon this time, I don't wanna listen to a sequel." I wouldn't want you on my longship. Spoilsports.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And how they got on that first space ship that the crew of Alien discovered.