right bottom chipped (macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingdong, Nov 2, 2007.

1. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

hi!

was just wondering if anyone's chipped their macbook on top right bottom corner accidentally because it seems as tho my frds has too on the same spot.

its weird coz all 3 of us have ripped the top bit on the bottom right hand corner without knowing it would come off. anyone know if i can get a replacement top for this through applecare? has anyone done this to their macbook?

here's pictures of what area i'm talking about.

white macbook
    [​IMG]
    black macbook
    [​IMG]

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

This happened to my friends Macbook.

He called into applecare and got it sent off and back within a week.

Definitely call, mention that your case is cracked. Why in the world is it that one spot on the macbooks?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

It is where the lid closes. The little standoff on the lid hits that area, and unless you are painfully careful in closing your machine, it will hit there with too much force. It also doesn't help that most of the plastic that makes up the topcase is around 1mm thick except right along the edge where it forms a lip that is paper thin.

cross section
    _ _
    |___________________|

^
    this is the lip I was referring to

4. billin macrumors newbie

experienced this as well

Just for other people's reference - my wife got a new MacBook about three months ago, and it developed the exact same chip as in the picture above. Clearly, it had the same cause - the plastic nub on the upper lid hitting the bottom palmrest and chipping off that single piece.

I'm happy to say that we took it in to the local Apple Store, and they fixed it within an hour with no fuss. No need to ship your MacBook and wait a week if you've got an Apple Store nearby!

5. tbl2 macrumors newbie

chipped Macbook fixed.

hi all -

i had the same exact problem with my macbook. i purchased it in april of 2007 and just a few weeks ago the same sliver of plastic chipped off the right-hand side. after reading these posts and a few other posts on the apple forum, i decided to take it into an apple store (i registered for an appointment at the genius bar) to have them take a look at it. i have to admit, i was a little weary as to whether they would fix it for free given that my 1-year warranty had expired and i do not have apple care. but after the guy inspected it and i explained how this has happened to other folks, without any questioning, he said they would fix it for free and that it would be ready on Tuesday. So my advice to everyone in this same situation is, bring your laptop to the apple store and have them take a look at it. from what i've read, the part and labor can cost around $250. And given that this has happened to so many people, apple should cover this cost no matter. it's clearly a defect in the design that we should not have to pay for.

6. Dagon macrumors newbie

If you do a search here you'll see that this a very common problem with MacBooks. It happened to my wife's recently. We went to the Apple store on Regent Street in London a couple Sunday's ago and they fixed it for free within 48 hours. (They originally estimated it would take 5-10 business days.)

7. Riwas22 macrumors newbie

My Macbook TOTALLY CRACKED

I have EXACTLY the SAME crack on my Macbook. It makes me sooo irritated because I take such good care of my Macbook and I can't believe their is a flaw in the Macbook where it cracks regardless if you take care of it or not.

Rina

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That is a MANUFACTURER defect from the displays bezel coming in contact on the non-reinforced top case that IS covered if you are still under AppleCare. Take it in and tell them that the "top case" needs to be replaced. If a genius says no, ask for the manager because that genius is actually a retard.

9. scbring macrumors newbie

Mine right hand corner has just chipped for the third time, I still have apple care but they give me a hard time every time I go in. I am wondering what will happen after apple care runs out it's like 180 something to fix w/o warranty, but I don't feel that if it is a defect with the equipment that I should have to pay for it. Does any one know if you can get it fixed after apple care is expired for free?

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

a lot of people have had this fixed without apple care it is a known issue.

11. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Buy a shaggymac screen/keyboard protector. Never close the MacBook without it in place. You'll never have another cracking problem.

12. songbyrd11 macrumors newbie

Fixing the cracks

I was at the Apple store, laying to rest and old iPod. I asked about the cracks and was told they would fix it for free, in or out of warranty. You have to give them 7-10 days, but also said, normally takes less. I was in the one off the I-15 in Victoria Gardens.

13. danitrev macrumors newbie

MacBook casing chipped

Horrified when I found the very visible chips around the casing of my very well cared for MacBook which I purchased just last year - 2009. Could not figure out how this possibly could of happened. Needless to say a wave of relief when I have since learned that this an obvious defect. Mine too is chipped at the bottom right hand corner, I don't even do a whole lot of wrist resting there and am ever so gentle with the care of my MacBook, love it however a bit disappointed. I have also noticed a chip in the casing above the screen, on the right hand side near the camera/video lens as well, does anyone have chips in that area too? And were you able to get the casing in both areas replaced through Apple with little or no hassle. I do have the AppleCare warranty and am assuming they will take care of this at no cost, at least you would think.

14. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i worked in geeksquad and 100% of the white macbooks we would see would have that same chip. bad manufacturing.

15. impossible-girl macrumors newbie

I got my macbook used from a friend, and it has been chipped like this for years. However I only just found out that Apple was fixing them for free. Does anyone know if this still applies, despite how OLD it is? And would the fact that I got it used change anything?