Right choice? Buying macbook pro for FCP & Avid MC editing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Definitely mayb, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Definitely mayb macrumors newbie

Hi,

I considering getting a mac for video/filmediting that has to meet the following criterias:

1. Has to be able to run both FCP and AVID MC
    2. Can't cost more than 2,100 USD
    3. Has to be portable - so I can take it around (going on flights) and connect it to an ext. monitor wherever I am. (I'd of course have an external hard drive too)

I've come to the conclusion that:

Mac Book Pro 15''
    2.4-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 Gb Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB

is the best solution for meeting those demands. But I've read - on a couple of mac forums, that it might be to slow a system for video/film editing?

I do medium length and long length projects (25 min.-1.30 min.), but my editing style is pretty oldschool - meaning not using many fancy FXs etc.. Mostly just using fades and maybe a little 2-D animation of text once in a while. And I don't have a problem with not editing in the highest res.
    I just want to be able to colorgrade in Color at the end of the editing process (on-line it high res before of course), which I don't necessarily need to be able to play in realtime for. I just need to be able to see a representative frame, and maybe render a sequence, if I want to see the final result.

So... is the Macbook pro that I've targeted going to be slooooow, for the purposes? Or will I be just fine?

Thanks for any answer-

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion you should be absolutely fine
    Upping the RAM to 4GB will be crucial, but you have already indicated that

You might want to consider smcFanContol for those times when you are working diligently... you may feel the heat

Go forth and conquer!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Definitely mayb thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I agree! I just ordered the same system (I got 4GB from newegg for $52!!) and I plan on doing some video editing, probably just in iMovie HD, and photoshop stuff and this sould be a perfect system for that and I've got a 24" LCD I'll be connecting it to for a lot of that stuff as well!

5. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

I use those specs (Except I still only have 2GB RAM) for FCS. The 60 or so GB that the suite uses up just for its programs and content is a pain on a 200GB HDD though... that, including scratch disk and other media I have just fills mine up fast (My MPB is my primary computer).

Heat will go up considerably. I was editing a clip for 8 or so hours a couple weeks ago and my temps hit 70C. FCP and Color runs just fine, I was editing 15 minute films. The only problem I ran into in FPS was Motion, which you're not going to use. Motion was a tad slow, and I could've used the extra RAM. The MBP is just fine for your needs, I don't know about HD footage though, but I wouldn't recommend using a MBP for editing an entire HD film...

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

For a more automated fan control, check out http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

You tell it what speed you want the fans to raise at what temperature. As the temp raises, it speeds up the fans, which cools the temp down. So the fans slow down. its nice. I have not run into any "revving" issues. Do not use both though, as one will override the other.

I use my MPB for recoding of movies. From MPG to AVI etc, and have never had any overheating problems. I usually run at 120F at pretty much idle, I cannot remember the temps while recoding, the fans would kick up, and would not get to maximum.