Right click freeze Mac problem!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Iulian81, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Iulian81 macrumors newbie

Hi! I have a very unusual problem with my macbook air Snow leopard operating system. I installed Snow leopard relatively recently and not used it too much. But from yesterday the mac OS started to act weird. First the boot time increased and also the Login window appeared at start but I never changed something in Mac Os preferences. Then another problem and the main one is the fact that when I right click some of my folders or files on desktop or in any other place some of them hang up the system, a specific colored wheel starts to roll and i lose for about 30 second the control of the computer. As some program is struggling to to something in this time. The same thing is happening with the icons in Dock.
    Another weird thing is that this issue seems to affect mainly the files and folders I copied on hard drive and not the one that came with Snow leopard. :(

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You can try to track these issues down but a fresh re-install may be your fastest and best solution.

However, create and log into a new user account and see if you have the same experience.

3. Iulian81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, in other user account the problem does not exist, everything works flawlessly... but I want to stay as a administrator and resolve the problem. On other posts people said that there are some files that must be deleted, some guy had the same issue but only with the Dock icons... :confused:

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

It's a pain but you could transfer you current admin account files to a new one. It would take a little bit of Terminal use. I think that's the way you should go.

Do a bit of research on how. This page might be a good place to start.

5. Iulian81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why not repair the files on this account?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If the Mac had a "Repair Account" app I'd tell you to run that. But as I inferred in my first post tracking down the exact issue(s) would take longer even if I thought it could be done. A new account is probably going to work and be faster than a fresh install but the latter will have a more certain success rate.

That is, if you'd have started the move to the new account yesterday you'd be done already.