Right click items in stacks...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Toadsworth, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Toadsworth macrumors newbie

Is it at all possible to right click documents from the documents stack? For instance, I'd love to be able to quickly right click and open certain .pdf files in preview directly from stacks. Instead, I'm forced to go specifically into the finder and right click there and select open with.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

I just left-click and it works as you wish. Right-click seems to do nothing.

3. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

If you have Preview in your dock, you can also drag files from the stack onto the Preview icon, and they'll open up. ;)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes. Didn't you try it?

No, especially not if it's buried a few levels. But, with a Stack set to View as List, you can navigate down until you find a file, then right click on it, and, voila, it opens! (Os 10.5.8)

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

No right clicks needed here (really), and never need to open in Finder. Should add that my stacks are set for either list or grid view, and that I'm using 10.6.4.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OP is wanting to open files from a Stack.
    If I left-click a Stack, then left-click a folder icon, that folder opens in Finder.
    In List View, you can navigate down, and (I'm not at my Mac) either a right or left click on a file will open it. So you're correct, and I was too hasty.

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

I find the implementation confusing, which is rare for OS X. If my stack is set for either List or Grid view, I can open any file using one or more left-clicks, without ever getting a Finder window. However, if the stack is set for Fan view, left-clicking a folder simply opens the folder in Finder (as you stated). Seems like it should create a new fan for that subfolder, to be consistent with what happens in List or Grid view. Weird implementation.

8. Toadsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my stack set as a list because I am working with several documents here. I left click the Documents stack, then highlight the specific folder that contains the documents that I will be accessing. Here, I can do nothing but left click documents. I can't drag them, I can't right click them. I can only left click and open with the default program used to open them (adobe).

9. LPZ macrumors 65816

Oh. Now I understand. Your default .pdf handler is Adobe Reader but you want to right click to select Open With (Preview).

I don't know how to do that; it would be a nice feature though.

Of course, you could set those particular docs to open with Preview by default ...

10. Toadsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but that would imply that I want all my adobe docs opened with preview, which I don't. I don't think right-clicking in certain areas (stacks in this instance) should be a feature. One of my main gripes with OSX.

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

No, you can set these specific .pdf files to open with Preview, leaving Adobe to handle others. Click on file name in Finder window, and then command-I and "Open with" but not "Change All"

12. adwarakanath macrumors newbie

Hi

I just switched from a PC to a macbook pro. I find it annoying that I can't right-click items in the stack. For instance, I would like to right-click a file in my Music Folder which is in my stack and say 'Add to playlist' or 'send to...'. But neither is the send-to command there.

Moreover, I don't find the option 'Add to playlist' when I right-click an mp3 in Mac. Any help?

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I know it's possible to add things to contextual menus, but I can't say if the ones you want there are among them.

14. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I wonder if there is a mod that would enable this, I would really like to be able to select which app to open a file in a stack with...