Right click = Left click on wireless Mighty Mouse after dissassembling

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ahoegh, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ahoegh macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had to dissassemble my wireless Mighty Mouse to clean it properly, as the trackball was unable to scroll up and down. As I had cleaned the trackball, I attached the two internal cables to their respective "slots" again and assembled the mouse.

Now my right button does the same as the left button (right click = left click). I tried dissassembling the mouse again, but I cannot see what I could have done wrong. After all, there are only two cables to attach and de-attach inside it.

Any suggestions?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Check your mouse preferences under system preferences. It may have defaulted back because you tampered with the mouse. In future don't dissassemble your mouse, there's no need, get a damp lint free cloth turn your mouse upside down and vigorously move the scroll ball in all directions. When you think its clean plug it back in and see. If not do it again. It will eventually start working again you just need to give it time (minutes, not seconds).

I had a MM that I thought was beyond cleaning/repair because I was so frustrated with it once I pressed REALLY hard on the scroll ball and it refused to scroll at all after that. A few months later I thought I'd give it a good clean and low and behold it started working again.

They do gunk up pretty quick but they also clean up everytime too!

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Oh really? My dad's magic mouse became so bad that the scroll wheel wouldn't work. We tried every trick in the book. It still did not work. So, we gave up and called applecare. They sent us a new one, and we had to send the old one back. The new one works well, and they even offered us the option to get a "short-tailed" or "long-tailed" mouse.

4. ahoegh thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to clean it several times, but it did not help. Once I opened it, it looked pretty dirty.

The mouse preferences are set to "secondary button". That seems right?

5. ahoegh thread starter macrumors newbie

I have SteerMouse installed and both "right button" and "side button" set to "contextual menu" (i.e. normal right click functionality).

However, only the side buttons work. The right button still does the same thing as the left button.