Right click menu

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Feltzem, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Feltzem macrumors regular

I've noticed that the right click menu in the iBooks app is different than the default system one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, in iTunes 11 they added a different looking menu that looks like a right click menu, but is a little different when opening submenus - it opens it in the same pane rather than next to it.

[​IMG]

It reminds me a bit of when iOS 6 had three/four different sliders. I wonder if they'll eventually change the right click menus to that of the iBooks or iTunes apps.

2. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone think they should update the system-wide right click menu to be like iBooks or iTunes? Or is it OK having three different ones?
    Personally I like the new ones, especially the shade of blue for the highlighted items.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

iTunes is usually used as a test app for UI changes and some of them do show up later in OS X.

I'm not entirely sure I like the design, it feels a bit bulky. However, you can see the benefit of the menus with the icons next to it, you can probably quickly find what you need by the shape/colors.

It does feel a bit more modern compared to the current menu design.

4. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I like the iTunes Menu.

It's nice that it transitions into another menu without another drop down.

5. heyadrian macrumors member

I think they should. Seeing as apple like to keep things 'iSimple', they should keep uniformity throughout their applications.

This is where Microsoft went wrong. Not only do you have different menu's at the top, you have different right clicks for every app :D Making like a little daunting for the novice user. Plus it just gives a novice user more chance to ******* things up as they 'point, click and hope' on new menu items :D

6. Nermal, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen something similar in another Apple app (iPhoto?)

7. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, iPhoto has a different one:

[​IMG]

8. dsdevries macrumors member

And the Dock

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Huh. I had never noticed that...

10. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

I think they changed it to black in Snow Leopard.

11. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

That is correct. For some reason Apple decided that the Dock menus should match the look of the black side-Dock and not the rest of the system or the default glass Dock.

:confused:

I guess maybe it was supposed to match Stacks and/or QuickLook... I don't know. In Mavericks it looks really out of place with all the Docks being white...

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Check out their beta.iCloud.com with the iOS 7 design, it looks the same as the iBook's contextual menu.

13. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Pretty clear indication that we're going to see a system wide font change soon I think. Lucida Grande's days are numbered

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

I doubt it, they already made minor improvements to the system font during the DPs. No point of doing that if they were going to just replace it in the GM build.

That's likely coming in 10.10 with the iOS 7-inspired design.

15. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Apple is not iSimple.

iSimple is a trademark of another company. http://www.isimplesolutions.com , they make poorly designed, yet flashly looking accessories for iPhone & iPod vehicle accessories. I would refrain from associating iSimple with Apple Computer, as Apple's products are, generally, better designed and better quality.

That is not even taking in to account that iSimple products are overpriced regardless of quality. That is the only thing that Apple has in common with them, they are often over-priced.

16. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I didn't say they were going to change it for Mavericks, but it's obvious they are trying to transition towards Helvetica system-wide.

17. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

I think it could happen with the next release, alongside a retina MBA. Once the majority of their laptops are retina, Helvetica would be a better systemwide font (like when they changed the iOS font from Helvetica to Helvetica Neue with the iPhone 4).