Right click problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anthony A, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Anthony A macrumors member

I just purchased a new Mac Book Pro. I am using a Logitech mouse. My problem is with right clicks. For some reason when I right click the context menu pops up immediately. Same thing when using the track pad. It should pop up when I press down on the right button and release. It's popping up as soon as I click the right button and it's very annoying. How do I configure it to activate the right click context menu on click and release of the right mouse button and track pad?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Have you come from Windows? I'm pretty sure that's just how it happens on a Mac, it does it on both my iMac and MacBook Pro with a wired Mighty Mouse, a wireless Mighty Mouse, the trackpad AND a wireless Microsoft mouse.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

It doesn't do that for me. I'm using a microsoft mouse, though.

I just tried my mighty mouse, and I'm not having a problem with that one either.

4. barcafan1990 macrumors newbie

Not quite sure what your problem is here, but if what you are saying is that the right click of your Logitech mouse is opening up the context menu before you release the right button, that seems like the Logitech mouse's problem.

I would check the driver for that mouse on Logitechs website, if it needs one, not from the CD that came with the mouse.

In regards to the trackpad im not sure if you have the newest model of macbooks (with the glass trackpad thing), but you can mess around with its settings in System Preferences > Trackpad.

5. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

I have the newest driver for the mouse right from their site.

It's happening with the track pad to. I have the newest Mac Book Pro with the new track pad. The whole pad is a button and I configure it to right click if I click the bottom right corner. When I do click the right corner the context menu pops up right away on the down click. I see no preference to adjust this behavior and I don't remember it doing this on other Macs I have used.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Go into the settings and also select tapping with two fingers to resemble a right click. Then, merely tap two of your fingers on the trackpad (don't actually click, just tap) and see if it comes up after you've removed your fingers or when your fingers are still on the trackpad.

7. barcafan1990 macrumors newbie

Yeah Im gonna have to say thats how it is then, I guess with the new trackpads. And like Bacong and Ivan say, it might just be how macs are. My Macbook does this(I have the older white one though and dont have an external mouse to try out). The context menu appears as soon as you click the secondary click button(for you its the right corner) i guess. Sooner or later it shouldnt bug you as much. Think about all the other great things you love about your Mac

8. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

OK I sort of figured out what is going on here. The other Macs I have used have a program called Xgestures installed. I'm sure you are all aware of it. It's a mouse gesture app for Mac and works on all apps you have installed. With this installed right clicking works differently. The context menu will not pop up untill you click and release the right mouse button. Thats because you press and hold the right button and gesture to perform the mouse gestures. So the context menu isn't activated unless you click and release. I hadn't installed Xgestures on my new Mac yet so it was behaving differently on right clicks. I just installed Xgestures and now the right click context menu activates on click and release both with the mouse and track pad.

Bacong, do you have Xgestures installed? You say your right click context menu activates on click and release while everybody else says it activates on the down click.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Hmm, you may be right. I don't have that program but I do have mouse gestures for firefox. Clicking the right click outside of firefox does indeed produce the issue you are having.

10. barcafan1990 macrumors newbie

Didnt even know about that XGestures thing..learn something new everyday. THanks and glad you solved your problem

11. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

OK thanks for the info. It seems than that on Macs just down clicking the right button activates the context menu and it's normal behavior unless you have a mouse gesture program installed which will change the right click behavior.

12. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

So have you used Mouse Gestures in Firefox? Does that program perform the same as Firefox, in regards to the gestures?

13. Anthony A thread starter macrumors member

I use Firegestures in Firefox and I also use Opera with it's built in mouse gestures. I'm totally dependant on gestures now. Xgestures is global. You can configure it for any program on your Mac. It only cost 5 dollars and is worth it even if you just use it for Safari but chances are if you like mouse gestures you will use it in many other programs to.

http://alum.hampshire.edu/~bjk02/xGestures/

14. sr6760 macrumors newbie

Track pad button not working

Hi

I bought this Mac book (laptop) 2years back with tiger operating system. Recently (2 days back) I upgraded the system with snow leopard. It was working fine. But all of a sudden today, the track pad started working weird and all of a sudden the track pad button clicking is not working. I tried various methods but still the clicking is not at all working. So now I am using a USB mouse to operate the laptop. Is the track pad to be replaced or what? can anyone help please??

sr6760

15. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Hey,
    You will get more help with this if you open up a new thread about it, and not posting on an old one. ;)