Right Click Search Options in Safari.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stenlyb, Mar 25, 2010.

1. stenlyb macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Probably you know the context menu on highlighted word in Safari, which gives us the options like "Search in Spotlight", "Search with Google", Look up in Dictionary" .. Do you know if there is a way I can add more search options in the same context menu?

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Like what other options? How do you access them now?

3. stenlyb thread starter macrumors newbie

For example a Stock Symbol. If I highlight a Stock Symbol and I use "right click" -> Yahoo! Finance to open a New Safari Window with http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s="AYZ, where AYZ will be the highlighted symbol. Simple automate process.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That is exactly what it is, an Automator action. You can make Services in Automator.

Here is one I whipped up really quick, feel free to modify it to your liking. But you can also use it as a template and learn from it. Save it to ~/Library/Services or /Library/Services if you want others to access it.

It works as you described: highlight the Stock Symbol, right click, select Yahoo! Finance, a Safari page will open.

Attached Files:

5. stenlyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, calderone! It seems I need to learn more of this automation language.. Anyway thank you once again!