Right click to make a quick text file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robo456, Mar 1, 2013.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I was working on my whitebook last night and was copying and pasting some text between files. One thing that I used quite frequently in windows was "Right-Click -> New Text Document". The only "new" thing I saw in OSX was New Folder.

I didn't have textedit on my dock, so I had to navigate to my applications folder, run it, and go from there.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way to "customize" the right click menu in moutnain lion?

Thanks for any infO!

--rob

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When in TextEdit I just use the standard command button+n to make a new document.

3. tzus macrumors member

Drag Text Edit into the Dock and keep it there.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Command-space and type 'text' into spotlight to launch TextEdit quickly.

I've never really understood the right-click->create new file functionality in Windows. After you do that, you still have to double click the newly created file to open it, so it seems just as quick to launch the App.

Different strokes for different folks and all... but it never really fit my workflow.

OP, you might want to try this. Looks pretty straightforward.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You could try creating a custom button sequence to launch TextEdit using Better Touch Tool.

6. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

There's actually a difference.
    Yes, you'd have to double-click to open. But you wouldn't have to decide where to save the file.

In your way I'd open text edit and when i "save" I'd have to navigate back to that folder.

If I am already navigating through sub folders in finder and get to the place where I want the file to be, I don't want to do it again when I save.

That may not be a big deal for some users.

For some users (I'm a software engineer and work on some projects that have 15 or more subfolders) it can be annoying.

8. philden macrumors newbie

If you have a finder window open for your destination directory, you can drag the small folder icon from the title bar to the 'save' browser. This avoids having to navigate the directory structure twice.

9. sinoue macrumors newbie

sinoue

Get Path Finder for Mac to get Right Click New File option

As a Mac, then PC and then back to Mac user I did find the right mouse button click to create a simple text file super helpful - especially in file directories when you just needed to add a note for the next person.

There is a Mac Finder substitute for power users called Path Finder from CocoaTech in SF. A lot of Mac programmers and former Windows users enjoy using this Finder substitute. Worth checking out, and they allow complete right click customization in the preferences so you can add all the other missing shortcuts you want.

10. lingtalfi macrumors newbie