Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I've just got a new mb and the big click button is single click. will apple (eventually) make a complete redesign some day and left/right clicks will both feature on laptops? they can still make it on 1 button (similar to the mightymouse) where the left side is for left click and right is for right click?

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
no they never will that is one of their trademarks. put two fingers on the track pad and push the button. there is your right click

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
If you go into System Preferences and choose Keyboard and Mouse, choose the Trackpad tab, you can change it so that when you keep 2 fingers on the trackpad and click it will perform a right click.

Attachments

• osxsystemprefs.jpg
    osxsystemprefs.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 59

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, go into System Preferences/Keyboard and Mouse/Trackpad and enable the two-finger right click. Much better than a real right click, IMO.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Wouldn't be a bad idea, but Apple were stubborn enough about adding a right-click to their mouse. I think it'll happen, probably as a touch sensitive thing like the M'Mouse rather than a physically separate button.

When it happens expect tears from the die-hard one-buttoniers.

For now I assume you know you can ctrl+click to achieve a 'right-click', or as above use SysPref to setup two-finger+click.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I've found that the two-finger click feels a lot more natural than reaching underneath your hand to hit that other button below the trackpad. Two finger means you dont need to contort your hand in some twisted fashion or use two hands to use just the trackpad.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I prefer the two finger "right click" over a dedicated button. I rarely use the button at all to be honest.

It feels strange when I use a windows laptop when I'm forced to use more buttons.

Of course that is just my opinion.

Shox1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
Sounds like most of you use 2 fingers on the trackpad, then click the bar - you do know that you can just tap the trackpad with 2 fingers, right? Much easier than 2 fingers and a click.

Aug 6, 2007
Sounds like most of you use 2 fingers on the trackpad, then click the bar - you do know that you can just tap the trackpad with 2 fingers, right? Much easier than 2 fingers and a click.

Only one person said that they use the button. The others made a point of saying that they didn't, and thought it was weird to do so. :)

I personally don't use the button. It's all about the two-finger tap for me!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I alternate between the two, but I think that honestly, I click the button more. I like the tactile and auditory feedback i get from clicking the button, and also, I cannot 2 finger tap click on my PowerBook, so it is best to simply not do it on either machine, at least for me. I also can't 2 finger scroll on my PowerBook (not all the time, and not with great consistency) but you'll get me to stop 2 finger scrolling right around the time you get me to stop breathing.

Cyclotrode

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Virginia
thanks every1 for the tip :) I never knew that... thanks again. but there's no middle click coz m-click is nice for firefox :) nvm.

With the "nvm" at the end of your post, I would assume that you found out on your own that putting two fingers on the trackpad and moving them around executes the middle button feature. :)

jwkicks

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
After you use a Mac long enough you do even notice. When I have my mighty mouse hooked up I dont even remember that it has two buttons.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can also hold the "ctrl" key while you click.

There are actually a lot of key short cuts in the Mac OS. You can do almost everything with the keyboard.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
You can also hold the "ctrl" key while you click.

There are actually a lot of key short cuts in the Mac OS. You can do almost everything with the keyboard.

ctrl+click is right click, command+click is usually the same as a middle click, and alt+click well, that just does weird stuff depending on the situation.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
haha one of the most ignorant statements against Macs is clearly "no right click", because we've mentioned about 20 ways to do so here :D

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
haha one of the most ignorant statements against Macs is clearly "no right click", because we've mentioned about 20 ways to do so here :D
I was a Mac user for about 3years before knowing about any of them.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I was a Mac user for about 3years before knowing about any of them.

And you never once just tried something? Or you know, asked somebody if they knew? ignorance is not a defense.

I was a Mac user for all of like... 3 minutes before i needed/wanted to right click, at which point, I turned to google (I knew that it could be done, I just couldn't remember what it was) and in about 2 seconds, found my answer and have not had a problem since then. IMO, OS X is an OS that rewards experimentation, so feel free to try dragging and dropping a file from here to there, or alt+clicking on that... no really, try it... TRY IT ALREADY!

thank you :)

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
To be honest, I grew up with one button mice, and I got really confused the first time I saw a two-buttoner. :eek: Quite a while ago, obviously.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
This "two finger right click" is a pretty cool workaround, but my problem with it is...On a normal two button trackpad, clicking both buttons at the same time is a middle click.

How do I middle click? Needed for Firefox tab opening, and what not.

Can I use three fingers :) (/edit: Using a keyboard button is not a substitute)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
This "two finger right click" is a pretty cool workaround, but my problem with it is...On a normal two button trackpad, clicking both buttons at the same time is a middle click.

How do I middle click? Needed for Firefox tab opening, and what not.

Can I use three fingers :) (/edit: Using a keyboard button is not a substitute)

Read up through the thread a bit and you will see that i mentioned that generally it is apple+click that yields a middle click.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I hate trackpad tapping. I ctrl click.

A question though...If I'm using remote desktop to access a windows pc...How do I right click on it? (ctrl click does nothing obviously). And yes I have a mouse, but might need to remote in at a time when I don't have my mouse....

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.