right-click

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by linkofhyrule, Jan 1, 2009.

1. linkofhyrule macrumors newbie

I used to be a PC user. Loved to use the "right-click" button on the mouse. Just purchased a Mac. Discovered only 1 button on the mouse. Specifically, with a PC, I could right click to download and "save as" for a file. On a Mac, trying to download media files is impossible. I tried control click and all I can save is the LNK. How do I download and save the actual file so I can move it from drive to drive??

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ctrl+Click, two fingers on the trackpad and click, or if you have trackpad clicking enabled, just tap it with two fingers. If you're on a modern Mac laptop (New aluminium notebook line), you can just put two fingers on the trackpad and click. You can still use a mouse with any Mac and use the right-click functionality, and Apple's mouse (The mighty mouse) is a four-button mouse.

You can still do all these things on a Mac. I personally prefer having one button on a laptop (as laptop buttons are generally annoyingly small/hard to use when they're separate).

3. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

What type of Mac do you have? What Operating System are you running? From which browser are you trying to save media files?

4. akbc macrumors 6502

Are you running like MAC OS 7 or something?

Are you using a 10 year-old Mac Mouse?

Are you on an eMac G3?

I don't get it :confused:

5. linkofhyrule thread starter macrumors newbie

right click

I am using OS X and trying to download and save free audio files from old time radio web sites. When I download, I control click and only have the choice to save the file as a link, not an actual wav or MP3 file.

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

This could have something to do with the website you're using. For example, if you were on my website and tried to save the file, you could do that. However, some sites deceive you with links, so the linked content (what you want is an .mp3) is actually a .htm file. Has nothing to do with the Mac, just the website.

7. porridge111 macrumors newbie

option click

at least in safari, option click downloads the file. did you try option clicking the link?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can control + click. You can enable 2 finger tap to right click in System Preferences. If you have an iMac, the Mighty Mouse looks as if it has only one button, but do to System Preferences and enable right click. Pictures below. First is the trackpad, second is the external mouse. Secondary button means right click.

Attached Files:

9. linkofhyrule thread starter macrumors newbie

right click

thank so much for everyones help.

10. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

When you right click / control click / whatever on that file, you should see the option to "download linked file" (see attachment) that does not mean you are saving a link, but rather the file that that link points to. Maybe that is what is confusing you, if not, it may just be some issues with the website and the browser you are using...

Attached Files:

11. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Depending on how old timey they are, they probably do not support file download.