Right clicking problem, or by design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Gates, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I just wanted to check and see if the touchpad works the same for others. When I do a 2-finger right click one way it works, another and it doesn't. It doesn't register as a right click if I have 1 finger on the touchpad, and then click with the other in the bottom sixth or so of the touchpad, basically where the button would be. It registers a left-click instead. However, if I instead click anywhere above that area, it works fine. Please test your own unibody computers and report back.

2. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

Yeah you have to have two fingers at the same time.

It's easier, I think too. :)

3. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Ah, I see. I'm having to form completely new habits based upon the design of the new touchpad. I just tested the secondary-click function by clicking with 2 fingers at once in the bottom-sixth and it worked fine.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The bottom part of the pad is treated a little differently by the driver, a single click on there, regardless of what other fingers are on pad will count as a single left click I believe, to try and emulate a normal button.

you will also note that in os x, it will not instantly move the cursor when you start by placing finger there and drag, it takes a fraction of a second. This is again to let you press a button without disturbing the mouse cursor.

5. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Interesting find there. I have the same issue with my Unibody, even though it may not be an "issue" at all.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I think that's why I'd have to adjust things somewhat with a new MB/MBP. I'm so comfortable with the previous trackpad/button combo that I don't have to worry about whether or not clicking the button is considered by the OS as another finger/touch, or just a 'click.'

I guess it can become intuitive after awhile, but the way I'm working already seems pretty intutive too. I'm just not sure what the advantage of the non-button button is. It did give me some less-than-precise selections when trying it out at an Apple store, due to cursor movement while clicking (since sometimes I click with a slightly sweeping motion of my finger on my existing trackpad. Plus on my now-outmoded trackpad, I can tell where the button is by feel...

Maybe on the new setup, if I just considered the lower quarter of it as the "button" it might work the same...

Oh well, I'm sure someday I'll adjust to it after replacing my machine, and it will seem like the perfect setup... and then they'll change it again...;)

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That is indeed the best way to treat it, due to the aforementioned special zone that deadens first touch movement to allow a secure click, it's designed to work best like that, and in advantage gives you more area to 'track' in, I adjusted to the new pad within minutes by just thinking of it like that, and now find pads with buttons cramped!

8. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    Tap to click allows me to right click in the bottom 1/6 of the trackpad, plus it makes double click easier and quieter.