Right fan sounds nasty...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IDanne, Nov 13, 2007.

1. IDanne macrumors newbie

Hi

A while ago my right fan(I think) is making sounds, it almost sounds as if it struggles or something, I´m suspecting dust!?
    Is it safe to open up the MBP and clean it from dust, crumbs and what not!?
    The sound comes and goes and is really starting to annoy me!!

Tips anyone?

PS. No applecare so sending it in might cost a fortune...

2. El Cid macrumors member

El Cid

Cleaning the fans

With the right tools it is really easy. Just need a Philips and #6 torx screw driver. Be careful removing the top case from the clips in the front, and removing the keyboard. Just take your time. Furthermore, a lot of good guides on doing various repairs on your MBP along with do it yourself parts retailers. Clean out the fan hopefully that fixes the problem. If not replacing the fan part assembly is not too bad. About a 50.00 USD part. Good Luck!

3. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Likely to need a new fan unit

I recently had the same problem. I brought it to the Apple Store in pasadena because I thought the unit was under warranty. The MBP was not under warranty and the total cost was (approx) $125.

Don't forget to get an appointment online if you take it in. Don't run it with the fan non-functional. Your MBP may overheat.

Also - the Apple store Told me it would take 5 days but they called me the very next day to tell me it was ready.