Right - fed up with this printing problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbrown, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Why is it when I print a photo on a printer ( regardless of the program, or seemingly the printer ) will it NEVER be centered:mad::mad::mad:

I mean it's not much to ask.

I do the artwork, set it up correctly, check it in preview where it appears as totally centered. By this I mean, the white border top bottom left and right are all equal.

But lo and behold, everytime I print - the top border is a little less then the bottom ( this I can just about accept, as that is the correct way to weigh the top/ bottom borders when composing a picture )

BUT THE LEFT HAND BOARDER IS ABOUT 4 TO 5 TIMES THE SIZE OF THE RIGHT. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

This then means if I want a centered image in my portfolio, I then have to trim the left side of the paper which then means it's no longer A4. It's as if the printer has fed in about 3/4 of an inch of paper before printing, which no one has accounted for.

Any ideas guys//

cheers

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A few apps revert back to Letter sized paper despite the paper in the machine actually being A4. Could this be the problem? Also, I get the same problem with double-sided printing but this is inherent in the printer's firmware/driver and cannot be fixed.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Cheers MJ

but I've checked this. Am I the only one to suffer from this - funny, everyone in the office has the same problem.

It seems so basic to me - i.e. I wish to have centered photos when I print them.

4. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Have you checked if the image alignment settings are 'alterable' both in the print driver as well as the application? As in, without opening the image editing app (or whatever you're using), try check to see if you can change the printer's output settings separately.

Another possible work-round is to insert the image into a text document (e.g. word) and centre it there...

CaPo

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I'm with you - I know that in photoshop I could offset the original artwork to one side to compensate for the error from the printer - once I'd accurately figured out the exact percentage that it is out by -- but

FFS!!!!

This is a whole level f extra work per image I have to go through, just to achieve something that should be right straight out of the box.
    :mad::mad::mad:

I want a proper solution to this

cheers