Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
The right fan on my MacBook Pro doesn't sound like it's too healthy. The left one swooshes like normal, while the right one sounds really weird. It's especially obvious when I lift the computer (I don't always use it on a table).

Is this normal?

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
could it possibly be that it your cd drive...this would explain the wierd sound when you lift up the laptop? make sure all cd's are out and see if this problem continues.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
It's not the optical drive. The sound is coming from the top right (where the fan is), and I have no media inserted in the drive anyway. Plus when the fans speed up you hear that it's coming from the fan.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Does it tick?

I had a macbook pro that had a ticking fan and it drove me nuts. Eventually the thing had enough problems that applecare just took it back as a lemon.

Hopefully yours fares better than mine!

Eric

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
It doesn't tick. It certainly makes the computer louder though. The left fan is quite quiet.

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Judging from the replies here, I figure it's not normal. Better call Apple again. :(

PizzaMoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Fairfield
Hey i suffer from this as well. Although, the noise subsides sometimes, depending on the apps i run, which isn't too taxing in the first place. But i took it to the apple store for a check up, and the guy said it's a small, easily replaceable problem. He ordered the part, and i'm just waiting on them at the moment. I even recorded the sound to make sure the apple guy wouldn't scoff and say it was my imagination or something. Hope this helps, given that you're near an apple store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.