Right memory for G3 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redart, May 27, 2007.

1. redart macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can anyone help me understand what' the right memory to buy to upgrade my 'new' G3 iMac ?. I'm no expert but I thought I just needed 168 pin, PC100 or PC133, 3.3V, unbuffered, unregistered, non-ECC, non-parity SDRAM, and I should be fine. Then I saw this page off eBay, which says it won't work in a Mac. Is there some special requirements that memory must have to work in a Mac?. Thanks.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

From the product link: "DIMM (DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY 64 X 4)"

It's 64x4. Your G3 iMac needs 64x8.

3. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply localoid. So if I understand you correctly any stick marked as 64x4 will not work?. I've been trying to figure out how the 32Mx8, 64x4, 16Mx8 memory designation works, but I'm still confused!. If there's an easy explanation I'd appreciate any help. thanks again.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Wow that even confuses me. I've never met the PC133 module that didn't work in one of my G3 iMacs.

5. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to tell just by looking at a DIMM wether it is 64x4 or 64x8 ?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First of all, which iMac?
    From the fact you are looking at 168 pin DIMMs, it has to be the 350 MHz or higher slot load models. If it is a 233, 266 or 333 trayloader, then you're waaaay off base.

Simple rule. It depends on the size of the module. The Mac G3's don;t like high density DIMMs. If it is a 256 Mb module, it needs to have 8 or 16 memory chips on the module, not 4. If it is a 512 Mb module, it must have 16 chips on the module, not 8.

If you stick to that, they will probably work (there are other SPD settings in the RAM module that affect compatibility, but you cannot tell by looking at the module, so it's still a bit of a crapshoot)

Other even simpler rule. RAM is cheap compared to your time, trouble, and shipping costs. Don't buy unknown or used stuff from eBay, buy guaranteed compatible Mac memory from a reputable dealer.

7. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 400Mhz slot loading. The number of chips alone doesn't seem to help, as the link I added in my first post shows a picture of a 512MB DIMM with 16 chips (8 on each side), but says it doesn't work with Macs. As for the price, I bought the Mac on eBay for A$50 as a project, so new memory doesn't make much sense. Must be my Scottish blood - I want the most Mac for the least money !!

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac+(G3-400)

Get two of the 512 MB chips. They are 70 bucks a piece and you are guaranteed compatibility. Not only that, but they are quality chips.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Here's guaranteed 512mb of memory with a lifetime warranty from a trusted Mac source that is cheaper:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/133SD512328/

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Since you spent so little on it, I don't think you need or want to pay for 1/2 gig chips.

If you PM me your address I could just mail you a 64 meg chip from my old imac. Just to make it work. There is basically no worth in them but OS9 runs ok with that much. If you can find another person to give you a chip you could run puma on it.

I am in the US though. Maybe another Aussie around here could do the same thing for you.

Calling all Aussies!!!!!!!!!! Give this boy a stick of ram!!!!!!!!

11. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions and links, and to shu82 for the kind offer.
    Before I get flooded with 64MB memory sticks I should point out that the Mac currently has 192MB in it and runs OS 9.2 fine, however, I plan to install Panther and thought swapping the current 64 for a 256 (to give 384) would be a good idea. Now if anyone would like to send me a free 256 module !!?. LOL...only kidding, although as shu82 points out, paying much more than $30 to upgrade a $50 machine doesn't make much sense. OWC and Crucial are good but with postage to Australia it still works out too expensive. Which brings me back to eBay, where I bought the Mac in the first place. One final question,....if a memory stick is described as "low density", does that increase the chances of it working in my Mac ?. Thanks again.