Right now I can afford to "Pay in Full"....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dbrandt6, Sep 13, 2015.

1. dbrandt6 macrumors member

dbrandt6

for the iPhone 6s 64GB silver.... and no longer be under ATT contract. Or... I can renew my 2 year contract and pay $199. Is not having a contract worth the difference in price? I value your input. Thank you.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Would you get a discount on what you pay monthly for using a phone that you fully paid for (or on the Next program)? If so, it can be worth it. If not, then not really worth it since you are paying more for the built-in subsidy without using it to get the phone cheaper on a 2 year contract.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

If you don't get some sort of discount as compared to the subsidize pricing, then it's not worth it.

4. netnothing, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Assuming your on a current plan, and not some grandfathered plan, you'll get a service discount depending on data. With a 2 yr contract service is $40/month. With Next or BYOD, service is $25/month with data 5GB and under and $15/month with higher data to.

And isn't the 64gb version $299?

-Kevin

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Depends on the plan. For someone who isn't on one of the current plans there wouldn't be any discount at all. (For current plans I believe the data boundary between a lower discount and a higher one is 10 GB for AT&T, unless that might have just recently changed.)

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'd love to be able to give you the correct answer, but it depends on your plan and what you're paying. There are dozens of different options/plans out there, so the possibilities are quite literally, in the thousands.

You just have to look at your specific situation and do the math yourself.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How much is an unlocked iPhone worth to you (for traveling purposes, etc.)? Otherwise, whether or not you should do it depends on if you get a discount on the monthly payments when paying in full.

8. FredV macrumors member

FredV

I keep hearing about this $40? I've had the same ATT contract since 08', mainly for the grandfathered unlimited data, and I don't see a $40 service charge on my bill? is this something only more recent 2 year contracts have? and If I'm looking to upgrade to the 6S and sign a new 2 year contract to keep my unlimited data will I now be charged this $40/mo?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, it's still $30 per month if you're on grandfathered unlimited, and you don't get a discount when paying in full either.

10. FredV macrumors member

FredV

Got it, thanks. I guess since I've been using between 10-15Gigs of data a month lately, It's best if I stay with my current plan for unlimited data, especially since I have two lines, so I would need almost 20 gigs to share, instead of upgrading and switching to Next.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's more in reference to the line cost on current plans.

12. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I'm on the old plan as you are. I payed in full this time so I don't renew my contract. Also if I need to move to mobile share later on then I'm not stuck with the $40 monthly charge.

13. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

It depends on how much you'd be paying on a contract vs out of a contract and when you'd want to upgrade. Do the math for your options. None of us know the exact terms for your situation.

14. Attack Eagle macrumors newbie

Attack Eagle

9.99 + $30 for unl data is still $40.

If you aren't on a family share plan of some type where you get a discount, there is no reason to do device payments instead of contract... Unless you are doing it with Apple to upg every year, instead of with your carrier.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ahh joys of the u.k. Pay for phone outright and continue with my 30 day rolling £15 contract with unlimited data hahaha