Right sodimm for Macbook Unibody Aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dfyoung10, Feb 7, 2016.

1. dfyoung10 macrumors newbie

My Macbook 2009 Unibody aluminum came with 2 1GB 1067 memory chips. I replace them with 2 2GB 1333 chips, and it worked fine. I recently ordered a single 4GB Kingston chip from Amazon, believing that this system would not be able to use more than a total of 6GB anyway, and intending therefore to install the 4GB in place of one of the 2GB chips. However, when I did, the system only showed a total of 2GB. So I took out the 2GB and tried the 4GB chip by itself but I only got the beep indicating no memory or faulty memory. It will not boot with the single 4gb 1333 chip.

Since it works fine with either one or two 2gb 1333 chips, it seems to me it should work with the 4gb 1333 chip. Does this just sound like a bad 4gb chip, or am I missing something obvious? Information I can find seems to indicate the 1333 chips should work fine in this Core 2 Duo system.

Thanks

2. Alexappleusa macrumors newbie

Hmm, I think some machines and memory like to be matching pairs and can be finicky, this could be the issue.

I had a 2008 unibody aluminum and had 8GB installed, 2 matching 4gb chips.

This site has information on the maximum amount of ram you can install and the amazon links to the memory.

http://tips.tinyiron.net/how-much-ram-can-i-put-into-my-macbook/