Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Hey all,

I got a new 15" PB today, and all was going well until I opened up iTunes to check things out.

Sound is only coming out of the left speaker, and when I went to the sound settings under system preferences (and selected the right speaker) nothing at all happened.

Any suggestions before I have to send this thing in...?

As for lines on the display, I think I have have them. They are faint, but if you look closely they are noticeable throughout the display. From an arm's distance away you can't notice anything, but still, I can see the potential problems from this..

Alright, thanks!

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Try playing around w/ the balance level in the sound preferences a little, That usually fixes that type of problem for me... If that doesn't work then I don't know.... Have you tried plugging headphones into the computer to see if sound comes from both the left and right?

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Hmm.. thanks for the help so far.

Oddly enough it's fixed. I was running it off the battery before, does it just use one speaker to save power?

I'll see if it goes back to "broken," but again, thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
How bizarre. My iBook uses both speakers whether running from battery or mains. :confused:

Try resetting the PMU and PRAM if the problem comes up again. It won't do any harm. :)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
IIRC, I have had something similar happen to my external speakers. All I would hear was sound coming out of one and not the other. Did the whole balance test then would try to fix the problem by unplugging and re-plugging the speakers back into the PB and it would reset to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.