Right speaker rattling on 2016 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Leon88, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Leon88 macrumors member

So I was playing some songs through my new 2016 Macbook and noticed that the right speaker driver tends to distort and produce a tinny rattling sound when the lower frequencies come up. This happens from anything beyond 60% speaker volume. I tried covering the keyboard keys to ensure that the rattling wasn't produced by the keys shaking around, but the rattling still occurs. Is this normal? I can play full volume on my iPad Pro 12.9" and the speakers hold up just fine.

Now if this is indeed a problem with my MB speakers, how will Apple fix the issue? Would I have to send my MB in for a repair or could they do an exchange? Problem is my unit is the m7 so its not like I can just grab one off the shelves?

Has anyone else had this issue with their Macbook speakers?

2. Leon88 thread starter macrumors member

3. Jinjin macrumors 65816

No issues with my M7 but for you I assume you will need to return yours and wait for them to send you a replacement

4. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

No such issue on my m7 either. You may want to ask Apple how they will fix the issue (repair or replace) - although I would assume the latter.

5. Jinjin macrumors 65816

Given you've probably had it less than 2 weeks of make sure you get a replacement

6. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

No issue here with my M5.......sound is quite good IMHO for a small notebook.

7. numtini macrumors newbie

The speakers are great for a laptop. That definitely shouldn't be happening. Get a replacement.

8. Leon88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input guys, i'll go book a genius bar appointment.

9. Leon88 thread starter macrumors member

So I just got off the phone with Apple. Rep told me to do a SMC reset and also booting in to safe mode to play some music. Didn't change anything as I expected since its 100% hardware issue. I ran a frequency sweep and turns out the speaker drive rattles at 80 - 200 Hz.

I've got a Genius Bar appointment booked in next week, rep told me that they'll repair my Macbook but couldn't give me a solid estimate on downtime. Anyone had experience with sending their Macs in for repair? How long does it normally take?