Right steps?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hlkc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. hlkc macrumors regular

I've a hack iP4 with 4.2.1 and baseband 03.10.01.

Can I use the redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac to hack my iP4?

Is so can someone generous enough to check my below procedure and make sure I've the right steps before I proceed?

1) iTune sync and back up
    2) Update iOS5 via iTune
    3) Use redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac
    4) Download Cydia and Package Backup
    5) Restore all previous package from Package Back Up

Much appreciated!

2. Norinion macrumors regular

better use a clean install for some apps might be putting your device into safe-loop or unusable.. check https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JRSk51NW9KUjJabTZVcTNZekVqSmc&hl=en_US.#gid=0 for a list of apps that do work before/after upgrading... so i suggest don't use package backup and everything else is perfect, however using redsn0w automaticaly installs cydia

3. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Norinion!

Just to make sure my baseband 03.10.01 is ok with redsn0w since I only see " The baseband supported for the iPhone4 is 01.59.00." in http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and is that mean my 03.10.01 is ok with redsn0w ? Can you confirm please?

1) iTune sync and back up
    2) Update iOS5 via iTune
    3) Use redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

baseband doesn't matter for Jailbreaking only for unlocking with UltraSn0w. FYI for that baseband there is no unlock.

5. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks iabman!

6. Norinion macrumors regular

Yes that looks right, auto is its a tethered break, so on a fresh install install cydia, if the phone requires a reboot you have to rehook it up into your computer and use the terthered boot from the extra menu in redsn0w. but yes those are the correct steps, good luck, hope it works well for ya

7. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Now, after JB, my Cydia logo is white and when I press it it will flash for a sec and back to home screen. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks!

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

respring or reboot.. then run Cydia for the first time, it will configure and close itself up before you can use it for the first time.

9. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the members above I JB'ed and have iOS5 in my IP4 since last night.

My procedure was go thru the redsn0w and install Cydia. First time boot up and I have white Cydia logo and I think it is called tethered. Then I powered down and redo this time and instead I went Extras -> just boot -> DFU mode and and after that my Cydia came to life and I installed few things and my JB iP4 is alive.

However but now, if I powered down or reboot, it will stuck in the Apple logo stage and in order for me to bring back up, I need to repeat the above Extras step. Is this the problem with tethered JB? Do I have to do that every time when I power down, reboot and out of battery until the untethered version come out? Is there other way around? Please advice. Thanks!

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

YEs, that i what Tethered JB means, every time you reboot/restart you need to rerun the exploit using a external source (on this case the computer), when they find another exploit on the OS itself where they can store the code locally to the phone and invoke it from there.

So yes,,,you need to re run redsnow with the option "just boot" every time your phone powers down/reboot

11. Norinion macrumors regular

This is the reason why everyone is hoping and waiting for an UNtethered version..

12. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Much appreciated and I guess I wil be patiently waiting in the line too ;)