Right time to buy ACD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ^squirrel^, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi,

Just to summarise my position. I'm waiting for a new release Macbook Pro but if it doesn't come by next Tuesday (5th Feb) i'm going to order a MacPro.

I really want to buy a new screen at the time of purchase and would prefer to go for an Apple Cinema Display. Haven't decided on what size, either the 23 or 30 inch.

I am fully aware that there are much better value for money monitors out there, like the Dell, but i really would like the Apple screen to match my setup.

Is now a good time to buy, or should i hold out for an unlikely update to the Apple Screens?

Thanks in advance.

2. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Have a look here at the MacRumours buyers guides

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I have just ordered the 20" model for myself to go with the MacBook I just ordered

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

A lot of people feel that the ACD line will be refreshed/updated in the near future. If you can wait, do so. If not, your monitor will still work the day after new products come out, so you won't be losing anything.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

A lot of people have been feeling that for the better part of a year now. :)

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Who the heck knows when/if the ACD's will be updated. To be honest, they are awesome screens as is. Sure more inputs would be nice to be like the competition, but that's not Apple's way.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

Well, whether or not they update the displays, they sure as heck should update the DESCRIPTIONS on the website:

Dual-Link DVI

The 30-inch Cinema HD Display, with its massive load of pixels, requires a graphics cards with dual-link DVI connectivity. No problem. No matter which graphics card you choose for the new Mac Pro, you’ll be able to connect two Apple Cinema Displays, including at least one 30-inch model. And with either the ATI Radeon X1900 XT or the workstation-class NVIDIA Quadro FX4500, you can connect one 30-inch display to each of their dual-link DVI ports.

The new MacBook Pro with its ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 is ready to connect as well. Designed specifically for the dual-link DVI connection, this graphics card supports awe-inspiring 2560-by-1600 resolution.

Mac Pro compatibility All new Mac Pro systems support two Apple Cinema Displays, including dual-link DVI for one 30-inch model. Support for two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays requires two dual-link DVI ports — available in configurations with either the ATI Radeon X1900 XT or the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 — or by installing an additional NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card. Support for more than two displays requires installation of one or more additional NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT cards.

:p

That 'new' Macbook Pro hasn't been new for quite some time. And the Mac Pro gaffe is more recent, but still unacceptable. Why not spend some of that $18,000,000,000 to have someone proof all your website, Apple? :)

7. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I ordered my ACD with my MacBook and AppleCare because the AppleCare will cover both products and saves on buying separate AppleCare if I were to purchase them seperately.

8. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I was thinking exactly the same.