Right time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by benjyman, May 14, 2008.

  1. benjyman macrumors newbie

    May 14, 2008
    Firstly, hello everyone, new to the forum. I'm an engineering student in the UK, thinking of moving into the Mac world with my first laptop, i'm looking at the mid range MB (White - 2.4GHz, 2GB, 160GB). Main use will be for university work, not involving specialist software, i've got my windows desktop for that. I've got a plethora of questions actually, but i'll start with the most obvious.

    I'm thinking of buying a MB at the moment for revision, working in my room seems impossible for me, i need to be surrounded by people working to be productive (i seem to get distracted looking at new laptops and things...). I can survive in my current situation but i'll definitely be needing a laptop for next year anyway, but i'm wondering if i should wait til september because last year they gave free nanos and i'm thinking they might do something similar this year. This coupled with the possibility of an upgrade ~August time is making me think i should wait. Opinions please? Also, do mac prices gradually decrease as with most tech, i was under the impression they didn't so much. If it's just a style upgrade i'm not bothered really, i much prefer the look of the current MB to the MBP in aluminium anyway.

    Another thing is should i go for AppleCare? It's only £47 with HE discount which sounds like a steal to me but i've seen it suggested that i should wait until the warranty is nearly up first?

    And finally, i'm the rider of a motorcycle and don't fancy coming off one day to find both my pride(s?) and joys in pieces. Can anyone recommend a case robust enough to withstand the above.

    ...Also, remote: worth it?

    Well that was longer than expected, hope you guys can give me a hand. Thanks for your help.
  2. macdot macrumors 6502

    Oct 22, 2005
    Always get AppleCare. If even one thing goes wrong it pays for itself.
  3. EMILinator macrumors member

    May 3, 2008
    The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    i don't think you should wait because these macbooks available today have been tried and tested and have been steadily improved over the last two years. IF they do come out with an all new macbook, your looking at being a beta tester for them. :eek:

    and i would also like to know if i should wait until the warranty that comes with the macbook expires to buy applecare..

    oh and a perfect case would be the incase hardshell. :D
  4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 12, 2008
    Carmel, IN.
    i have the exact one you want as you can see below and really its the greatest laptop i've ever owned. Especially if you like the design better right now, no reason why you shouldn't get it. I would get applecare cuz seriously its a life saver. And i just got the incase slave from the apple store last weekend and it has a lot of padding inside yet its really thin. Maybe some better ones out there, and if so, im sure someone will bring it up. Though yea, perfect time to buy in your situation.
  5. Phillyzero macrumors regular


    May 1, 2008
    As it's often said, if you can wait, than do so. If you need it, then it's a great purchase. The upgrades coming are mainly suspected as an aluminum style change, as well as montevina (because of it's timing, it's a reason as to why there's such a frenzy of buzz currently). I don't suspect a whole lot will change, slightly faster processors, larger HD, multitouch trackpad maybe, and casing. I really don't think graphics will change much, as that's a key difference in getting a MB and MBP.

Share This Page