Right type of Winows 7 to buy

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BigEd0079, Oct 23, 2009.

1. BigEd0079 macrumors newbie

I've been been wanting to install windows via bootcamp for a long time, just to play games. Now that windows 7 is out, I think I have a good excuse to get windows.

My question is, what would be the best and cheapest way to get windows 7? I heard OEMs are good, like the ones they are selling at newegg, but I'm not exactly sure if you can install them. I really don't want to pay $200+ for a copy of windows. Can anyone confirm if you can install a windows 7 OEM?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Physically and technically, yes. According to the license, no.

OEM/SBE is licensed by Microsoft for preinstallation on PCs to be resold to third parties only. It is not licensed for end-user use.

This puts it at about the same level as using an upgrade license or the $29 student deal when you don't qualify for it. Not that it won't work, it just isn't licensed "the right way".

B

3. BigEd0079 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

On the subject, does anyone know if Home Premium supports Dynamic Disks in 7? I have a computer that I would love to install it on but I need the disks for striping. Vista Home didn't support it at all.

5. BigEd0079 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be a bother, but I just want to truly confirm this.

So, if I buy an OEM of windows 7, I can install it with bootcamp, and it will work just fine? I need to know before I buy anything, if not, I'll just wait and save for a full copy.

6. chrisrottan macrumors member

Call Microsoft directly to get the FULL version of Windows 7 pro for $30 + tax.

You need a full version of windows to install it on bootcamp.
    I installed w7 pro using vmware but it's laggy and awful.

7. BigEd0079 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i just call them and ask for Windows 7...for $30? That seems too good to be true. Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to dealing with these types of windows issues.