Right USB to USB-C cable to charge Macbook 12

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by borgusio, Dec 20, 2016.

1. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Today I forgot my charger for the Macbook 12 in the train. I will get it back as soon as I am back from holidays, since I am leaving tomorrow.

I have an iPad Pro Charger with me, which provides 12 W. This should be enough to charge the Macbook at half speed since the original charger ist 25 W. Now I just need to purchase the right cable. How do I choose the right one? I read in the past that some cables may be dangerous, but looking at the price of the cheapest ones (3 EUR) I do not want to waste money on apple stuff...

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Go with http://bensonapproved.com cables. Also know that you won't be charging your MacBook if you're using it at the same time. At best, it will trickle drain because it uses more power than it can the adapter can charge. Best to leave it closed while charging with the iPad adapter, and it will trickle charge to full after a couple hours.

3. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

Thanks a lot, I ordered a cable from Anke which will be delivered at destination. Luckily enough I have still 80% of battery. Together with the iPad I can cover the time until it is delivered

4. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

The cable just arrived and it is working like a charm! :)

I tried different USB chargers:
    - iPhone 6 (5 W) It would require round about 8 hours to charge without using it. Therefore, it cannot be really used while charging
    - iPad 2, iPad Air 1 (10 W) It charges in round about 5 hours without using it. As soon as one drive starts syncronysing, the battery drain is higher than the charging speed. Therefore, recommended for very light usage
    - iPad Pro 9,7 (12 W): now the good news! With this charger and light usage (50 % brightness, productivity software, web browsing) the battery is charged in 5:30 hours while using the laptop, which is really cool.