Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drnscr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
All, I'm a newbie... forgive me...

What is the "right" way to set up my new iPhone 6 plus? Should I restore from the last back up of my iPhone 5 or set up as new? If I set up as new, how do I get all of my content (apps, photos, music, etc) to the new phone?

Again, I beg your tolerance for an obviously stupid question.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
there isn't a "right" way, just the way that works for you. you can restore your iphone5 backup if you update to ios8 on it and perform a backup. my preference is to restore from icloud.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Well it depends..

Personally I like to set up new iPhones as new because I don't want them to get any broken .plist files my old backup might have or anything like that. Its also my experience that when you set up as new things are just more smooth overall.

MegLuvsMacs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
West Virginia
The only right way is the way you wanna do it. You can use a backup if you want all your camera roll pics on it, or you can set it up as a new phone. Either way you're a winner. Its all about personal preference :)

Makala

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Usually whenever I get a new Apple product I sync it up to my computer to sync my music & then download all the apps from the purchased area & then sort out folders for categories. Old fashioned, but it works for me. :eek:

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Restoring from backup definitely works, but I always choose to set up as new. I want my phone running as smoothly as possible, and almost everything I have on my phone now is on the cloud:

Contacts & Calendar - Synced with Google, so I can switch between iOS and Android as my leisure.

Photos - Backed up to Google Photos, which can be auto-enabled on iOS and Android as well. Probably will also use iCloud sharing for family/friends.

Apps - Most of my apps are cloud-based such as Facebook, Google+, Dropbox, Feedly, Pocket Casts, etc. I don't really do a lot of gaming on my phone, but I suppose that's the area that has the most frustration when setting up as new. I don't think Apple has a way yet to restore app data from specific applications yet, right? I wish they would do this, so that you could just restore game app data, for example, instead of an entire iCloud backup.

Other than that, it's not too difficult re-entering in your Apple ID passwords, WIFI, etc. I think in the long run, setting up as new makes your phone run smoother for a longer period of time. But I've also restored from backups before and it works just fine (much better than Android).

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
What are the list of things you would NOT get if you set up as new and sync items back.

1) text message history
2) call history
3) camera roll (unless you synced them all to iPhoto first?)
4) app settings / game progress ?

Do I have this right?

andrewxie

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
If you want whats in your current iPhone to the new iPhone, the best way to do it is backup your phone via iTunes, then plug in the new iPhone, select backup from your previous device.
If you want a "fresh" start, you can back up your contacts and messages, photo through iCloud, then just backup from iCloud on the new iPhone.iCloud only has a limited 5G I believe, so you can't sync everything.
Basically if you want to transfer only whats important. use iCloud, but if you want everything to your new phone, you would have to use iTunes.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
if your scheduled to get it on launch day back up your previous to itunes "on this computer" and restore from that. icloud is going to be hammered on friday and it will take forever. thats how I always do it on launch day.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Well it depends..

Personally I like to set up new iPhones as new because I don't want them to get any broken .plist files my old backup might have or anything like that. Its also my experience that when you set up as new things are just more smooth overall.

So when you set up as new you have to re-download all of your apps and everything else manually? What do you do about all of your contacts?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
there isn't a "right" way, just the way that works for you. you can restore your iphone5 backup if you update to ios8 on it and perform a backup. my preference is to restore from icloud.

I don;t believe this is a prerequisite any longer. Should just be able to restore from the iOS 7 backup just fine.

----------

So when you set up as new you have to re-download all of your apps and everything else manually? What do you do about all of your contacts?

You would have to do that manually. Contacts you can either store sepparately in iCloud (I use Google since it's better for cross platform).

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I don;t believe this is a prerequisite any longer. Should just be able to restore from the iOS 7 backup just fine.

----------

You would have to do that manually. Contacts you can either store sepparately in iCloud (I use Google since it's better for cross platform).

woops, yeah, it's not backward compatible.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City

Yes you can re-download manually or if you have them in iTunes just sync them over to the phone.

Contacts are store in the cloud and download automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.