Rightzoom - Free utility to change the green + button

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akm3, May 5, 2009.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

Switchers are often baffled and annoyed by the Green + button on their windows. It usually makes the window larger. Sometimes smaller. Sometimes fills the screen, sometimes doesn't. Coming from Windows, we expect and want this button to just fill the screen.

Now that I've used Mac longer, I understand why the button is like it is, and even appreciate the concept of making a window only as big as it needs to be to display the contents - what I'm still constantly annoyed at is *it doesn't always get it right!*

So, today I ran across this article with a free utility that changes the behavior of this button. You can set it on a per application basis, and you can set it to always fill the screen when you press the green+, for which ever applications you want to behave that way.

Thought I'd share!

http://lifehacker.com/5240827/rightzoom-makes-the-os-x-maximize-button-more-like-windows

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Those windows user will never learn how to properly multi task by viewing multiple apps at the same time. =p

On larger screens, maximize to fill screen is pretty much useless.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree, but with a per application setting, and smaller screens like my Wife's Macbook Air, setting Safari for example to just maximize is a great idea.

Just thought i'd share.