Rihanna is Apple Music's Most Streamed Female Artist

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rihanna is the world's most streamed female recording artist on Apple Music, ahead of Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, and Ariana Grande.

[​IMG]

Apple recently announced that the Barbadian singer has become the first female artist to surpass two billion streams worldwide on Apple Music, having achieved the milestone on International Women's Day last Thursday.

It's unclear if the count is limited to Rihanna's own songs or includes her features in songs by other artists like Drake, Eminem, and Jay-Z, but it's an impressive accomplishment either way on the heels of her 30th birthday.

Rihanna topped Apple Music's list of the top 20 most streamed female artists worldwide:
    1. Rihanna
    2. Taylor Swift
    3. Beyoncé
    4. Ariana Grande
    5. Adele
    6. Sia
    7. Lana Del Rey
    8. Selena Gomez
    9. SZA
    10. Lady Gaga
    11. Katy Perry
    12. Nicki Minaj
    13. Demi Lovato
    14. Halsey
    15. Fifth Harmony
    16. P!nk
    17. Kehlani
    18. Mariah Carey
    19. Little Mix
    20. Miley Cyrus
    All eight of Rihanna's studio albums are available to stream on Apple Music, whereas some artists don't offer their complete discography on the service.

Article Link: Rihanna is Apple Music's Most Streamed Female Artist

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, there you go, I would have thought Taylor Swift would have been number #1

3. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

Man, I'm old. I've only heard of half of the entertainers on that list and actually listened to maybe five of them.

Say what you will about "corporate rock" and "overproduced music" back in the '80s, but nothing will every hold a candle to the variety of music that was available from about 1975 - 1992. Grunge killed it and rap put the final nail in the coffin. You don't need real music talent anymore, the crop of entertainers who have come to prominence in the last 20 years are all about image. Queen (Radio Ga-Ga) and the Buggles (Video Killed the Radio Star) were right, video has made it to where the music is purely secondary to the performer.

Even though I don't particularly care for their music, Lady Gaga and Adele are the two on that list that are the most talented musicians. Mariah Carey was great in her early years but her voice has lost its famous range and she kind of squeaks her way through the high notes now. Gaga reminds me somewhat of Sting in that her compositions are kind of strange yet have an underlying musical genius to them.

Now you kids can just get off my lawn!!!!!

4. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Taylor Swift to write salty song about this.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

6. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Mariah still around so heavily? Comes as an surprise.

7. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

I think the industry is more heavily oriented around solo artists than groups now, which means that the vocals are always the main selling point and everything else is kind of generic. IMO, that's why there doesn't seem to be as much musical variety in the high profile acts.

8. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

A lot of them have great vocals actually. You should listen to Sia... lately she has more typical pop songs for a long list of reasons, but her older albums show off her writing and singing abilities really beautifully. I love this performance:

9. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Lol, no one I listen to would be in the top 100 for males or females.

10. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

There are some very talented vocalists/singers... But I just feel kind of lost in this flood of music. I wonder how much they are actually connected to the melody and lyric someone else wrote for them.

I guess that's okay? Movie actors and actresses are not portraying their real life on screen, so maybe I shouldn't expect singers to sing their real feelings.

11. simonmet, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Sia FTW!

Australian here so I loved her before she was “big” but sadly not seen her live because she rarely visits any more and I was too broke during her most recent tour.

I like this one from Hammersmith Apollo I think:

--- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2018 ---
    Sia writes her songs and for other artists too! Probably the only genuine and real pop star on that list as far as I’m aware. Sounds like you don’t know much about her.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I bet all her streams come at Christmas time.

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Sia's christmas album last year was absolutely amazing. Wife loved it a lot.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Can't say I have heard any of her songs. Can this lady really sing (like really sing without a band) or is she just a Kardashian-like celebrity hooked up to Autotune?

15. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

I would expand the years a little back to 1968 or 1970 to pick up the start of FM radio stations when some of them played for an hour or more with no stops and really really long songs were allowed. I may go a couple of years later than 1992 as well, but then I don’t find today’s music a total wasteland anyway it’s just different than what I listened to in the 70’s and 80’s as a teen/young adult. I never really did listen to pop music either then or now and this list is pop heavy. I still listen to what is now called Alternative and Rock, although Rock bands are becoming fewer and fewer as far as new material or popularity.

I haven’t heard any of her albums, though I’ve heard a few of her songs on radio/Sirius but I did go to a Lady Gaga concert years ago as friends had a spare single ticket. Didn’t know most of the songs she played but it was a small venue, 2500 at most, probably right before she became a star act. She can definitely sing. I still don’t know her songs but she has a great voice, and seems to be pretty honest in her shows with little or no lip syncing. I would be willing to go to another of her concerts except now it would cost $2-300 a seat for nosebleed seats, and I won’t pay that much for anyone I can think of. I thought her SuperBowl halftime was well done a couple of years ago.

16. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Agreed. I didn’t think even Sia could pull off a Christmas album (I don’t know anyone that has), but she nailed it. Great songs and I’ll happily listen to it any time.

Great mix in 24-bit too!

17. linkmaster02 macrumors member

I just want to point out that you said you've only heard of half of them and listended to maybe five, but then go on to say who the two most talented musicians are. Kinda hard to judge a list when you haven't even given them all a chance.

18. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Sia? Does this answer your question? I love this version of Chandelier from French radio.

19. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

20. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Rihanna is the number one reason why I stopped listening to newer mainstream music after 2006 which was the last album I bought was "Girl like Me". She was good until the abuse and then after she turned into every other mainstream pop artist, vile and terrible.

21. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Yeah, it's weird. 99% of the time, I listen to classical & opera, but, out of everyone on that list, Rihanna is the one pop vocalist I also enjoy hearing.

Her SNL appearance was pretty endearing.

22. justperry, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

FYI, Sia also writes for Rihanna, she's good.

Don't really like Rihanna, but those songs written for her by Sia are an exception.(imo)

23. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Yep, she wrote Reaper initially for Rihanna, and that's still one of my favorite songs of the last few years.

24. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

My very first thought as well, but what about Wham! if true? I bet they kill all competition in this month...

25. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

Sometimes she sounds really good and sometimes, eh, I think I prefer when someone else covers one of her songs. But the songs themselves generally are good.

Is that pic really of her? I’m trying to figure out why she looks so dead in the eyes almost every time I see her lately. She’s young and beautiful and successful, there should be a spark there, not a blank void. I’m used to seeing her looking mischievous and spirited. Whoever told her and FKA Twigs that the dead eyed look is a good look for such beautiful young women during photo shoots should be kicked.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2018 ---
    Oh great thanks to this article now Umbrella Ella Ella is stuck in my head. Thanks a lot MacRumors. :mad: