Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Really, where does this perception of RIM doing so badly come from ? Their latest results show positive gains, again :

http://press.rim.com/financial/release.jsp?id=5307

Why do people keep saying RIM as if on the brink of extinction ? The smartphone market is exploding, RIM are growing, just not as fast as the market. Even Apple is starting to show signs of "slowing down" in smartphones (which is quite disingenuous when you think about it). More platforms are showing up, more handsets are being moved to these smart platforms. It's normal for the players involved to have to share the grounds a bit a more with the newer players/platforms entering the market.

There is no big decline, there's just a big upswing for everyone.

There are some selective comparisons for you! That's the problem with getting your data from a press release.

Here are the year over year comparisons:

Revenue
Q3 FY2011: $5.5 billion
Q3 FY2012: $5.2 billion

Smartphone shipments
Q3 FY2011: 14.2 million
Q3 FY2012: 14.1 million

Cash
Q3 FY2011: $2.5 billion
Q3 FY2012: $1.5 billion

----------

Is it really RIM sliding backwards or is it the market is expanding in areas RIM just doesn't cater to ?

RIM is really sliding backwards.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can't make this stuff up.

If any further proof was needed that Research in Motion is losing its grip on the professional market and aiming its handsets squarely at the "yoofs" then surely the launch of The Bold Team is it.

A bunch of cartoon superheroes, The Naff Team, sorry - The Bold Team - are "bravely stepping out of 2011 and into 2012 filled with unlimited possibilities". Exactly. We're pretty sure we can put our fingers on the context of The Bold Team's aims.

RIM has seen its share price fall by over 75 per cent in the last year following a number of underwhelming product launches and, what the Financial Times describes as, "a series of management missteps and earnings shortfalls".

We think perhaps The Bold Team represent new CEO Thorsten Heins. Or at least one of them, probably Trudy Foreal - The Authentic - who is "Not afraid to call it as she sees it".

The Bold Team are based on new year's resolutions made by New Yorkers using the #BeBold hashtag to state their aims and objectives for the new year. We're just not sure they have the super powers needed to turn the Canadian company's fortunes around though.

Link

be-bold-infographic.jpeg

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
RIM will do fine, they still have the enterprise marked..They have never looked to the consumer market for anything really, even the curve wasn't really intended to be consumer phone.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
RIM will do fine, they still have the enterprise marked..They have never looked to the consumer market for anything really, even the curve wasn't really intended to be consumer phone.

They will not do fine. And they are losing the enterprise market.

In fact, every part of your post is precisely the reason RIM is on a runaway train to obsolescence.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
RIM will do fine, they still have the enterprise marked..

They don't. And whatever's left they're losing FAST.

So they come out with a faux Power Rangers ad campaign, in an attempt to be "cool" and "street" (Microstupid syle, but cartoony) and appeal to a younger audience, in a lame effort to follow Apple's lead.

It looks like the front of a cereal box.

OMG Justin Steele and GoGo Girl!! Ossssummm!!! Collect them all!! (I hope GoGo Girl has other multi-coloured spatula accessories! OMG HAWT FEATURE REEKWEST!!)

It appears they aren't even attractive buyout-bait anymore. LOL

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The worst promotional material since someone coined the word "Samsunged". :D

Luckily, it's not intended as an ad campaign :

http://blogs.blackberry.com/

UPDATE: We’ve noticed The BeBold Team has received a lot of attention over the last couple of days, and wanted to clarify – this infographic is just intended to be a bit of fun. On New Year’s Eve, we asked BlackBerry Twitter followers and their friends to submit their resolutions on how they plan to Be Bold in 2012. More than 35,000 resolutions streamed across Twitter®, Facebook®, and giant billboards in Times Square. As we looked at the resolutions and the data, majority patterns and categories emerged. We decided to organize the data and share it in a fun way, and the result is the infographic. This is not a new ad campaign.

Still... I wouldn't have put that on my official blog if I were RIM.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

KnightWRX said:
The worst promotional material since someone coined the word "Samsunged". :D

UPDATE: We’ve noticed The BeBold Team has received a lot of attention over the last couple of days, and wanted to clarify – this infographic is just intended to be a bit of fun. On New Year’s Eve, we asked BlackBerry Twitter followers and their friends to submit their resolutions on how they plan to Be Bold in 2012. More than 35,000 resolutions streamed across Twitter®, Facebook®, and giant billboards in Times Square. As we looked at the resolutions and the data, majority patterns and categories emerged. We decided to organize the data and share it in a fun way, and the result is the infographic. This is not a new ad campaign.

At least they inadvertently generated some publicity.

Not all bad I guess! :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

RIM has a little problem with "control of information."

If you don't want something representing you, you don't put your name to it. Would Apple ever be caught doing this ****? As it stands, RIM just declared "we're pretty retarded", and have then followed up with "hey, we were only kidding! No, really, honest", once they saw the results of their stupidity that, mysteriously, they couldn't themselves figure out.

Amateur hour indeed.

Cat's outta the bag now. What a great way to kick off their "comeback."

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...,cf.osb&fp=78fd5b1442eb7b0a&biw=1920&bih=1017

LOL, idiots.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At least they inadvertently generated some publicity.

Not all bad I guess! :)

In RIM's case bad publicity is just that. I can't help wonder what they intended this for, but when they have to put a blog to try to spin it positively you know it blew up in their faces.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
In RIM's case bad publicity is just that. I can't help wonder what they intended this for, but when they have to put a blog to try to spin it positively you know it blew up in their faces.

When they have to put a blog ? The thing never left their blog to begin with, they simply updated the blog post to add a comment that this wasn't an ad campaign.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When they have to put a blog ? The thing never left their blog to begin with, they simply updated the blog post to add a comment that this wasn't an ad campaign.

And the reason they had to clarify that is because of the overwhelming positive feedback - no, quite the opposite. They need to try to spin it as best as they can, given that it seems to generate mostly negative feedback

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Any guesses on when there will just be a smoking crater?

Less than a year?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
^^^Soon

Given that Jim Balsillie abruptly resigned from the board today and Thorsten Heins was cleaning house, a lot of senior executives being shown the door.

Of course such drastic actions had to be taken Revenue down 19 percent and blackberry shipments down 21 percent for the quarter. Its basically gone bad to worse for them

Engadget article

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Is there really any point to *LTD* constantly reposting the Michael Dell and Ballmer quotes - ancient history?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.