Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I hope they will make a QWERTY *slider* QNX phone.

But ActiveSync should be included.

Last edited by a moderator:

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Rim sat on their buts too long. The playbook is great but they needed something on the phone side of things. I like the new 9900 but its not going to capture the market. It seems to me that they should have been working on the playbook and a phone at the same time.

I remember when asked about they said they couldn't work on a QNX phone till dual core phones could be made. A week alter the Atrix came out.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Why must all phones be toys? Some people need indestructible phones with slide-out keyboards that just *work* for business.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Why must all phones be toys? Some people need indestructible phones with slide-out keyboards that just *work* for business.

We're talking the consumer market here. Given what iOS and Android are capable of, including the ocean of apps that let you do everything from VNC to streaming video to photo editing, these toys far outclass any and every RIM product in the consumer market. No question.

As for "business", all you need to do is scrounge around the news sites a bit to see that BB alternatives are gaining some serious traction.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

The iPhone does - I see more people in my organization using an iPhone then a blackberry.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs, but I'm not terribly surprised. My husband has used BBs for his work phone (that's what his company provides) for years and years, and he and all of his friends there are really unhappy with the build quality and the functionality of their phones. All the execs now are using iPhones ... guess they aren't providing them for the peons yet, though!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
A sinking ship I tell you.

Link

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. has lost another senior marketing executive as it struggles with a product transition that has triggered profit warnings and a sharp share-price drop.

Brian Wallace, RIM's vice president of digital marketing and media, has left RIM for Samsung Telecommunications America. Samsung confirmed the move Monday.

RIM representatives weren't immediately available for comment. Samsung said Mr. Wallace wasn't available for comment.

"At this point Samsung confirms the news, but [has] no additional comments," a Samsung Telecommunications spokeswoman said in an email. Samsung Telecom is a unit of Samsung Electronics Co.

Mr. Wallace's departure comes amid a time of turmoil for Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM. The BlackBerry maker is bleeding market share in the U.S. as its aging product line struggles to compete against Apple Inc.'s iPhone and devices powered by Google Inc.'s Android-operating system, such as Samsung's Galaxy. Last week, RIM's shares fell to five-year lows after the company issued disappointing second-quarter guidance and said it would begin reducing its head count.

Mr. Wallace is the latest senior departure from RIM's marketing department. Keith Pardy left the company in February after serving as chief marketing officer for two years. His departure came just weeks before RIM was to launch its PlayBook tablet, the company's most important roll-out in years.

Paul Kalbflesich, a vice president of brand creativity at RIM for 11 years, left RIM earlier this year, replaced by Roger Baxter, a former chief strategy officer for Publicis Group SA's Seattle unit.

Last week, RIM also said that one of its three chief operating officers, Don Morrison, had left the company temporarily on medical leave but that he would eventually return. Meanwhile, RIM said Larry Conlee, a former COO who retired in 2009, has returned in an advisory role. RIM representatives haven't commented specifically on Mr. Conlee's role at the company or on how Mr. Morrison's duties are being handled during his medical leave.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apropos, more sad news.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/20/rim-is-black-burying-carriers-with-half-baked-blackberrys/

Beleaguered RIM reportedly strong-arming several carriers to stock half-baked BlackBerries

Launching new products is always difficult,” Jonathan S. Geller reports for BGR. “Launching new products with hundreds of different carriers is exponentially more difficult.”
“Apparently there is an easy way and a hard way to do things, however, and RIM has been making carriers offers they can’t refuse,” Geller reports. “BGR has learned from a trusted source that RIM has been strong-arming several carriers, essentially forcing them to approve devices they normally would not move through the Technical Acceptance phase.”

Geller reports, “We have been informed by a very reliable source at a major carrier that RIM has been putting an enormous amount of pressure on carriers to approve the upcoming BlackBerry smartphones like the BlackBerry Bold 9900 — phones that have to hold RIM over until its next-generation platform launch in 2012 — and that certain carriers will be approving the devices, ‘no matter what — with bugs and problems.’ … It’s one of the reasons some carriers launch devices sooner than others.”

EDIT:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/06/20/seesmic-drops-blackberry-support-to-focus-on-ios-android/

Ouch.

Last edited:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
These are interesting public developments for RIM. Back in 2009 I mentioned M$ should buy RIM and was half kidding. Now I'm wondering more than ever if it would have actually been a good idea.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apropos, more sad news.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/20/rim-is-black-burying-carriers-with-half-baked-blackberrys/

Beleaguered RIM reportedly strong-arming several carriers to stock half-baked BlackBerries

Launching new products is always difficult,” Jonathan S. Geller reports for BGR. “Launching new products with hundreds of different carriers is exponentially more difficult.”
“Apparently there is an easy way and a hard way to do things, however, and RIM has been making carriers offers they can’t refuse,” Geller reports. “BGR has learned from a trusted source that RIM has been strong-arming several carriers, essentially forcing them to approve devices they normally would not move through the Technical Acceptance phase.”

Geller reports, “We have been informed by a very reliable source at a major carrier that RIM has been putting an enormous amount of pressure on carriers to approve the upcoming BlackBerry smartphones like the BlackBerry Bold 9900 — phones that have to hold RIM over until its next-generation platform launch in 2012 — and that certain carriers will be approving the devices, ‘no matter what — with bugs and problems.’ … It’s one of the reasons some carriers launch devices sooner than others.”

EDIT:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/06/20/seesmic-drops-blackberry-support-to-focus-on-ios-android/

Ouch.

Yeah I read that article and then shifting threw it there was typical bad headline crap.
RIM unlike everyone else (including Apple) writes their own radio stack for their GSM phones (CDMA phones they license it from Quadcomm) This is part of the reason how they are able to put out such great battery life out of their phones. Problem is the carriers have to approve it and that is hard. Mix that with they changed chipset providers for something with a little more power. Mean they had to re write their antenna stack from scratch but one thing you will always know about Blackberry is they will get really good battery life.

Rogers in Canada is generally a lot easier than AT&T who is unbelievable picky. It is not half back as BGR put it. If you read the entire thing you will find those parts and the stack is good. Problem is getting the carriers to approve the first one after that it is a lot easier to get more out.

That is why on AT&T the bold 9000 was so far behind Rogers but once that was done they were able to get out quite a few other 3G phones with little trouble later on because the they did not make any big changes to the signal stack.

I am glad RIM is putting pressure on carriers to stop blocking them and putting pretty big BS reasons for saying no.

As for Seesmic dropping blackberry sadly not a real loss there Seesmic for blackberry pretty much sucked and honestly in multiple forums it never was one recomended like you will see pop up on other platforms. It sucked big time. The offical Apps from blackberry were a hell of a lot better mix that with multiple other 3rd party. When Twitterdiod drops them then I might be worried but Seesmic is not a loss at all. It was unpopular and not very widely used.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't help but feel that there is bit of a Blackberry witchhunt going on at the moment. I know the old saying "there's no smoke without fire" but it seems to be the cool thing to do.

Hopefully things pick up for RIM as I've got no reason for animosity towards the company.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Google Nexus S Build/MIUI) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I can't help but feel that there is bit ornaments Blackberry witchhunt going on at the moment. I know the old saying "there's no smoke without fire" but it seems to be the cool thing to do.

Hopefully things pick up for RIM as I've got no reason for animosity towards the company.

Honestly I expect things to get better. Like I said before RIM kind of is stuck between product cycles. Yes they screwed up in 2008 and did not changed direction and now they are working on it but there is some lag there.
RIM is an enterprise company first. These means change is much more slowly as business customers do not changed what they want at the drop of a hat. I think once they get QNX off the ground in phones things will look at a lot better. I believe that is about 1 year away and I am hoping we see something at Mobile World congress.

Apple iPhone on the other hand is a Consumer device first. These means it is going to change much more quickly to those needs. Problem is this also hurts it in the enterprise world. It changes way to quickly for IT and the central management. Mix that with Apple not wanting to give up control.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't help but feel that there is bit of a Blackberry witchhunt going on at the moment. I know the old saying "there's no smoke without fire" but it seems to be the cool thing to do.

I think its along the lines that the sharks are smelling blood in the water so they're circling.

RIM has a small window of opportunity to turn things around, so far they've squandered that opportunity. The leadership is promising some much better phones rolling out in late summer/early fall. If its just a variant of the traditional blackberry, screen/keyboard rollerball, It will fail. People want touchscreen phones and while the keyboard has some advantages for emails and typing, it lacks a certain sexiness that sells phones. That is the design is getting old and staid in comparison to what apple, samsung, htc are doing.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The latest in this sad saga:

http://www.neowin.net/news/end-of-the-road-for-wi-fi-blackberry-playbook#comments

Now not even RIM is denying it.

I fear it might already be too late for them to even attempt anything else. Of course, we'll see, but don't be surprised if yet another Playbook (a la BlackBerry Storm) fails to really make an impact. They'll need something revolutionary.

This market's looking more and more like an iPod situation by the day. HP seemed to have had the greatest potential. But even with a former Apple brain they couldn't pull it off. In fact, it was a really embarrassing show by Ruby. So he has yet another failure to add to his Palm failure. But the slow death of WebOS is getting off-topic . . . .

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The latest in this sad saga:

http://www.neowin.net/news/end-of-the-road-for-wi-fi-blackberry-playbook#comments

Now not even RIM is denying it.

I fear it might already be too late for them to even attempt anything else. Of course, we'll see, but don't be surprised if yet another Playbook (a la BlackBerry Storm) fails to really make an impact. They'll need something revolutionary.

This market's looking more and more like an iPod situation by the day. HP seemed to have had the greatest potential. But even with a former Apple brain they couldn't pull it off. In fact, it was a really embarrassing show by Ruby. So he has yet another failure to add to his Palm failure. But the slow death of WebOS is getting off-topic . . . .

I suggest you go back and read your link. There is an update and RIM stated they are not stopping production. They called BGR pure fiction.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I suggest you go back and read your link. There is an update and RIM stated they are not stopping production.

Does it matter? It's DOA anyway.

So in other words they're continuing with their delusion.

That's even worse. Do they enjoy the abuse?

I *might* believe in them if they do a complete management overhaul, as in sayonara to Ballsilie and Laziridis. They're clearly ill-suited do deal with current market realities.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
imessage seems primitive and frankly, useless. It's limited to just one type of handset and there is no online or computer based element. Why would i use it when i can just send one of the 1000+ free sms messages i get per month to someone?

...bbm?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Does it matter? It's DOA anyway.

So in other words they're continuing with their delusion.

That's even worse. Do they enjoy the abuse?

I *might* believe in them if they do a complete management overhaul, as in sayonara to Ballsilie and Laziridis. They're clearly ill-suited do deal with current market realities.

I do not think you would believe them no matter what because they do not have an Apple label.
I love how you refuse to admit the story was wrong, correct it and just come out with some other new bashing thing.
You are caught in your own bashing and now you are back pedaling. I though you were all about facts but when the facts turn against you well you just put your head in the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.