riMac dissected

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OurDarkness, Oct 19, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

2. leenak macrumors 68020

This has been a front page story for 2 days... Maybe you should look at the front page

3. OurDarkness thread starter macrumors member

OurDarkness

At work we had several LG monitors... not any more.

4. RyanJWilliams macrumors newbie

LG makes a tremendously varied range of panels at all kinds of quality levels. Were you using professional-grade monitors (£500+ each) or consumer-grade?

Regardless, LG has been supplying many manufacturers with panels for years including ones Apple has used for retina iPads. Apple always uses professional-grade panels. The hands-on impressions say the 5k iMac has a spectacular screen. I wouldn't worry.

5. OurDarkness thread starter macrumors member

OurDarkness

The truth of the matter is no, we haven't. These were just consumer products and they failed one after the other. They were replaced by Philips consumer monitors which work great.

I didn't know LG was providing panels for :apple:

6. DerekS macrumors 6502

7. edry.hilario, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

If you bought retina in the past or just regular screen manufactured by LG then you will truly understand why OP is worried. I am worried myself too since I want one. I bought a late 2012 imac (first thing imacs) when they first were announced. I had to go through 5 replacements to get one good screen and they were all made by LG. They had horrible horrible edge bleeding and screen retention. If you look at all the LG panels, (even their own series of monitor) they are very prone to have these issues. When it comes to retina, the Ipad air panels also have the spine effect where the left side darker than the rest of the screen. These problem still exist today, I Bought one and returned it, and if you dont believe me, go to your local apple store pick up one put a white screen and look at the left side you'll see what im talking about. Also lets not forget about the retina macbooks with all the screen yellowing and screen retention issues from the LG panels. I remember people going to the apple store getting replacements and opening a couple of them and making sure that they got a samsung panel because those are the good ones. Yes its a new technology, yes these panels could be higher tier but LG just hasn't been reliable in the past and there isn't a worse feeling than opening a new imac, noticing a crappy screen and seeing that hole in your bank account. I dont think it sits well with anyone. Only when you had these experiences is when you truly understand why someone would be worried about LG.

8. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I agree with OP. The LG displays used in the iMacs all suffer from a variety of issues:

Banding
    Dirty Screen Effect
    Image Retention
    Back Light Bleeding
    Yellow Tinting

9. OurDarkness thread starter macrumors member

OurDarkness

Which is why I have started this thread. I *did* have horrid experiences with LG and I am still worried because I *do* intend to buy the riMac.

10. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Furthermore, just Google "LG dirty screen effect" and there's a YouTube video of a 47" LG LED TV with a video that has gray bars banning across. The screen looks AWFUL.

Edit - here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGhh4IkAtPM

CAUTION - Perform this test - or a similar test by dragging, say, an empty Text Edit window around your screen - on your iMac at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible for helping you UNSEE what you've already SEEN. My 2013 iMac has had 3 screen replacements and they all suffer from these issues.

It's a joke. Premium display calibrated at the factory my ass is what Phil Schiller should've said.

11. Serban Suspended

what is "dirty screen effect" ?

12. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

LG Display was a joint venture between LG and Philips (who have since sold their shares). Your Philips monitors are probably using LG panels.

13. OurDarkness thread starter macrumors member

OurDarkness

Well... they work because Philips was in. Much better quality control I guess.:)

14. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Oh it's most awful thing I've ever seen. It's where the diffuser layer within the LED panel itself isn't completely flat, resulting in areas where the backlight shines through a bit darker or lighter, resulting in an inconsistent coloring, making it appear dirty like its loaded with faint smudges and finger prints.

The best way to "discover" dirty screen effect, or (DSE), is to view a solid color like gray, panning across the screen. I am sure there are some videos online that can test it.

15. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Why don't we hold off judging until hands on reviews come in?
    Maybe some of these issues have been addressed in this new 5K model.

16. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

thats what im going to do see how many people actually have these issues, last time it was all over the place so hopefully this wont be as bad this time around, but who knows I lost all trust on LG.

Here are some examples from their newest panels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk#t=558

and

Dave D's new LG monitor, this one is great example because he has multiple monitors showing black and the only one has edge bleed (look at the corners) is the LG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMotaJF9kGs&list=UUpPnsOUPkWcukhWUVcTJvnA#t=296

17. BigJohno macrumors 65816

When will apple loose that chin on the iMac? Doesn't look like there is anything down there to warrant the chin.

18. OurDarkness thread starter macrumors member

OurDarkness

So, you want a mute iMac? :D

19. RyanJWilliams macrumors newbie

Speakers.

20. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I think that's where the speakers are but yeah, I was hoping it would lose the chin and gain a forehead. LOL
    I am short and my desk is high so I need the monitor to sit as low as possible.
    The chin on this makes it have to sit up higher than I would like.
    I wish they would just make it adjustable but you know Apple!

21. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I don't see why they need it. The ACD has speakers and no chin. They dedicate a ton of room in the case for the speakers. I think they need to differentiate the design from the ACD...

22. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Had to be LG. Lg is pioneering IgZo or oxide tft displays.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Apple uses LG and Samsung displays, and from my experience LG isn't as good as Samsung as far as quality control and overall panel quality.