riMac late 2015 and NVMe

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Andrescarpa, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Andrescarpa macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

I've just received the new iMac (27", i7, M395x). Updated to 10.11.1 and I've noticed that the GPU is described as "kHW_AMDRadeonR9M395XItem 4096 MB" and in System Informations there is no NVMe device detected... Is this normal? My 500Gb SSD is listed under SATA/Sata Express. BlackMagic says it runs at 1800MB/s like the others. Thank you all!

2. Andrescarpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

I called Apple and they said that the SSD is ok but they didn't answer me about the GPU...

Attached Files:

3. Topazali macrumors newbie

I've just received my new iMac 5k too. My 512GB SSD is showing up under the SATA section as well. No NVME devices detected. My GPU is reported correctly (without the the extra text).
    I was under the impression that the new SSDs were all NVMe as well?

4. Andrescarpa, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

Andrescarpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

Ok, that's great:)
    I Think every ssd is on NVMe anyway...

5. Chytin macrumors member

Chytin

You would never get 1800 MB/s with SATA. It is definetly NVMe, only thing is whether it uses 2 or 4 lanes PCIe. The new iMac has 4 lanes, before it was 2 lanes which maxes out at 700-800 MB/sec if I am correct.

6. Andrescarpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

I messed up a bit with The iPhone keyboard... I'm italian and the autocorrection failed XD

7. Andrescarpa, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

Andrescarpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

GPUmeno.jpg GPUgiusta.jpg I've just realized that the strange text is only in Italian. Every other languages has the correct name for the GPU. ARGH. This thing drive me crazy. Does someone know if I can modify the localized files on my own?

8. ericv macrumors regular

I noticed this too. I know it is not SATA because of the speed, but why is it under SATA?

9. Andrescarpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Andrescarpa

Apple said that The ssd is listed under NVMe only If you have fusion drive...

10. dyn macrumors 68030

Some people need to update their SATA knowledge. There is something called SATA over PCI Express or in short "SATA Express". That's why the category is named "SATA/SATA Express" and that's why it is capable of doing 1800MB/s. Apparently this is in the SATA3.2 spec which is able to do up to 16Gbit/s. SATA Express inherits SATA and that is a problem for SSDs because SATA (and thus SATA Express) is aimed at HDDs that behave differently. NVMe is similar to SATA but it is aimed at SSDs instead of HDDs. It doesn't mean that an SSD now gets higher sequential speeds because that is still limited to PCIe (just like with SATA Express). What it means is that things now work more efficiently because everything is catered towards an SSD. It means lower latency and more IOPS.