riMac: Need config advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Litosman, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Litosman macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying the new riMac, and taking into account such investment, I would like to be sure about which config should I buy.

I used to have a 24" iMac (think it was from 2008) which I gave to my parents some years ago, and I am currently using a Macbook Air (mid 2011).

First of all I am a bit worried if the distance which I will have my riMac placed will be enough for its 27" screen. The width of the table is 75cm. Do you think is enough viewing distance taking into account as well that I will lose some due to the base of the riMac?

Second, configuration settings. I will be using the riMac for internet browsing, some FCP video editing and some gaming (Sc2 and FPS). I used to do some 3D modeling with 3D Studio Max (think I would need bootcamp for that...)

I am pretty sure of including an i7 processor and Radeon 295Mx. My doubts are regarding RAM and SSD capacity (not even considering FD):

- RAM: Don't know if only including 8Gb RAM and buy some aftermarket RAM afterwards or include 16Gb and do the same. The upgrade to 16Gb (2x8GB) in the AppleStore is not that pricey (+200€) even cheaper than buying it in the aftermarket OWC 16GB (2x8GB) (208€). The advantage I see here is that I can keep the initial 16Gb Apple RAM modules if I want to fully upgrade the RAM in the future. Any problems if I mix Apple RAM modules with other brand?

- SSD: doubts between 256Gb and 512Gb (+300€). I think will go for 256Gb, as 512Gb is pricey, but not sure if I will be regretting not having more Gb.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go for 16GB and 512GB.

Apple's pricing for 32GB is daft, and 256GB is a bit pushing it, unless you don't mind using external storage.

But I'd go for 512GB for the peace of mind.

My current retina iMac config is i7/32/512GB/M295X, and I'm really happy with it.