Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffvan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I've been eyeing the 5K iMac covetously. So long, in fact, that even if I were to fool myself into thinking that I need one, I would still be beset with concerns over buying now or waiting for Broadwell.

Obviously, if my need is in doubt, then it's better to wait. But I decided I would solicit opinions anyway.

Thoughts?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
If you don't need one, then it's probably worth waiting for the 2nd generation Retina iMac.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
As above, it seems obvious from our external perspective - if you don't need one now, then don't buy one now.

Ultimately, though, Broadwell will be a very minor bump in performance. So will Skylake, and the next one, and the next one. It doesn't make business sense for Apple, Intel or the other parties involved to release a *hugely* improved processor in a given release cycle of a consumer product - they need recurring buyers, and they risk killing/skewing future cash flow if they over-deliver. Small steps are the best steps, just like Apple releasing one little thing at a time.

Just work out your needs vs. wants, then take a view on if you can wait 6 months or so for the better model.

Just my $0.02.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
I've been eyeing the 5K iMac covetously. So long, in fact, that even if I were to fool myself into thinking that I need one, I would still be beset with concerns over buying now or waiting for Broadwell.

Obviously, if my need is in doubt, then it's better to wait. But I decided I would solicit opinions anyway.

Thoughts?

i was in the same boat.

Did I want to wait until fall 2015 to upgrade?

pros:
broadwell or skylake
likely cheaper
better gpu

cons:
same screen tech/issues
more expensive
no guarantee 2015 upgrade (see mac pro)

for what i wanted to accomplish with the computer, I decided that I didn't have to wait for an incremental internal upgrade. Everything I need the computer for right now can be done with current technology (i have i5 + 295x). I didnt want to get to fall 2015 and still have no upgrade path and be locked into continually waiting for something that would merely be incremental.

I wouldve waited for OLED or soemthing crazy like dual gpus. That is something that is a major upgrade and worth waiting for. Since neither are likely I got the current version.

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
Personally I would wait for the 2nd gen.

It really all depends on if your current setup is working for what you need.

jeffvan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Thanks

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, I think it makes better sense to wait :(

Guardsix

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
It's Time NOW!

I've waited 64 years to buy a top-notch, best in class, desktop computer! I've suffered through some really, really crappy Winblows PCs and that is over.

My Brother-in-Law was one week from retirement and enjoying life, and then had a stroke! He can barely move now.

I'm going to enjoy this thing while I still can!

Dropping an order for a 27" Retina, 4.0Ghz QuI7, 512GB SSD, and 295x 4GB graphics card. 8GB ram on-board, then I will add 16GB more because I can!

TODAY!

I may not get the chance ever again! Now is always the best time to do something.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
You should be aware that we're not all having "thermal issues". It's an amazing machine, just get one.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Code:
Do you know the difference between need and want?
  If yes then
     Do you need one?
        If yes then
            Get one
        If no then
            Is there anything you want more?
               If yes
                   Can you afford things you want more + iMac?
                   If yes then
                      Get one
                   If No, then
                      Wait
               If No then
                       Get one

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
i was in the same boat.

Did I want to wait until fall 2015 to upgrade?

pros:
broadwell or skylake
likely cheaper
better gpu

cons:
same screen tech/issues
more expensive
no guarantee 2015 upgrade (see mac pro)

Personally, I don't believe in widely available Skylake CPUs this year. Yesterday, it turns out Intel will release 5 Broadwell desktop parts with a 65W TDP:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/102073/i...l-chips-voor-desktops-met-lga1150-socket.html

Model Cores /
Threads Kloksn. / Turbo L3-cache Gpu Geheugen Tdp Socket
Core i5-5575R 4 / 4 2,8 / 3,3GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364
Core i5-5675C 4 / 4 3,1 / 3,6GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W LGA1150
Core i5-5675R 4 / 4 3,1 / 3,6GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364
Core i7-5775C 4 / 8 3,3 / 3,7GHz 6MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W LGA1150
Core i7-5775R 4 / 8 3,3 / 3,8GHz 6MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364

Performance wise, you get a modest improvement for the CPUs. I suspect Apple will only release Broadwell iMacs with TB 2.0 support, like the Macbook Pro.

KiXeR

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
I belive that we´ll see an update to non riMac in near future with broadwell CPUs. I don´t think that Apple will drop non RiMac yet, probably next year.

Personally, I don't believe in widely available Skylake CPUs this year. Yesterday, it turns out Intel will release 5 Broadwell desktop parts with a 65W TDP:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/102073/i...l-chips-voor-desktops-met-lga1150-socket.html

Model Cores /
Threads Kloksn. / Turbo L3-cache Gpu Geheugen Tdp Socket
Core i5-5575R 4 / 4 2,8 / 3,3GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364
Core i5-5675C 4 / 4 3,1 / 3,6GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W LGA1150
Core i5-5675R 4 / 4 3,1 / 3,6GHz 4MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364
Core i7-5775C 4 / 8 3,3 / 3,7GHz 6MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W LGA1150
Core i7-5775R 4 / 8 3,3 / 3,8GHz 6MB Iris Pro 6200 ddr3l-1600 65W BGA1364

Performance wise, you get a modest improvement for the CPUs. I suspect Apple will only release Broadwell iMacs with TB 2.0 support, like the Macbook Pro.

OurDarkness

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2014
Greece
You should be aware that we're not all having "thermal issues". It's an amazing machine, just get one.

Here in Greece the temperatures during the summer are like... HOT. This along with the fact that I am going to load Cubase 8 and Logic Pro X, with who knows how many audio channels, VST instruments, compressors, EQs and blah... certainly not an issue graphics-wise (although I wanted to get the 295) but CPU-wise?? Who knows?

So, yeah, I think it's better to wait a little longer. I do hope to see a lot of stuff ironed.. temp issues addressed, lags and bugs in Yosemite... faster CPUs, maybe 512 SSD coming as standard, 16GB RAM coming as standard and maybe an NVidia GPU.

But then again, it's quite possible that little of what I wrote happens. We'll see.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

Thoughts?
If you want one, just get one. Enjoy it now. Life is short. The riMac is an amazing machine.

If you wait, you will simply lose out on months of usage before the next version comes out. You may even come to find out that the riMac you have now is fine even when the upgrade happens.

Just do it and have fun!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Yess you have but you´re just igonring it.

Need proof, here you go: https://youtu.be/tgTMxB-ffjM?t=3m

100+ degree celsius on GPU is not ideal temperature no matter what you say.

Seriously? that's your proof? A test by some random of an riMac running Windows? the guy just says it throttles at max load and hence you get a few percentage points off max performance.

If you were seriously gaming or doing heavy 3d rendering or something you'd be in a PC with a water cooler or a Mac Pro. It's like whining about your street legal car not being able to perform the same as a non street legal car maxed out for the track.

I've used mine on tons of LR imports and PS work and only cracked the fan above idle a few times, even with importing hundreds of RAW files.

I wouldn't hang around for a year+ looking at some old school crap monitor waiting for something that may or may not come true. I'd rather beat the snot out of a machine with the best monitor available, pay the $150 for Apple Care, and hope the thing bakes and gets me a new machine within 3 years. I'm trying, but can't get anywhere near the temps all the experts here say I should be getting. Guess I should do less work and play more games....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm definitely waiting. I'm spoiled by how quiet my 2013 imac is at home versus my 5k at work doing the same exact task.

I never really thought about fan noise until they got me a 5k now I realize how important it is too me.

Imagine 9 5k machines in a relatively small office setting. Once the novelty wore off we notice the noise. End of the day comes and it's almost like a relief to hear them shut off. Kind of like when there is construction noise outside and they take a break (obviously no where near as severe). Unfortunately for me this will probably be the final push the anti apple people at work need.

If they redesign it or something I'll definitely be getting one. I love that screen.

KiXeR

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
I do not care about the idle temps, when i need to push my machine @ work i'm not getting the performance I'm paying for, that´s what all those tests are showing.

Another test, https://youtu.be/NJt3av99e8k?t=7m27s . 97 degree celsius @ 3,4 GHz and fan speed @ 2700 RPM is not good.

Don't be so ignorant, you´re loosing 15% off the preformance, thats more then a few procentage that your are saying.

If that´s OK with you then fine, but for me it´s not and fact is that riMac with 4790k and m295x is running hot, thermal throttels and is louder then previous iMacs.

Seriously? that's your proof? A test by some random of an riMac running Windows? the guy just says it throttles at max load and hence you get a few percentage points off max performance.

If you were seriously gaming or doing heavy 3d rendering or something you'd be in a PC with a water cooler or a Mac Pro. It's like whining about your street legal car not being able to perform the same as a non street legal car maxed out for the track.

I've used mine on tons of LR imports and PS work and only cracked the fan above idle a few times, even with importing hundreds of RAW files.

I wouldn't hang around for a year+ looking at some old school crap monitor waiting for something that may or may not come true. I'd rather beat the snot out of a machine with the best monitor available, pay the $150 for Apple Care, and hope the thing bakes and gets me a new machine within 3 years. I'm trying, but can't get anywhere near the temps all the experts here say I should be getting. Guess I should do less work and play more games....

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I'm definitely waiting. I'm spoiled by how quiet my 2013 imac is at home versus my 5k at work doing the same exact task.

I never really thought about fan noise until they got me a 5k now I realize how important it is too me.

Imagine 9 5k machines in a relatively small office setting. Once the novelty wore off we notice the noise. End of the day comes and it's almost like a relief to hear them shut off. Kind of like when there is construction noise outside and they take a break (obviously no where near as severe). Unfortunately for me this will probably be the final push the anti apple people at work need.

If they redesign it or something I'll definitely be getting one. I love that screen.

Which model GPU? 295X?

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
I've waited 64 years to buy a top-notch, best in class, desktop computer! I've suffered through some really, really crappy Winblows PCs and that is over.

My Brother-in-Law was one week from retirement and enjoying life, and then had a stroke! He can barely move now.

Dropping an order for a 27" Retina, 4.0Ghz QuI7, 512GB SSD, and 295x 4GB graphics card. 8GB ram on-board, then I will add 16GB more because I can!

TODAY!

I may not get the chance ever again! Now is always the best time to do something.

I like your philosophy! I hope all goes well and you don't die before you get one.

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015

TODAY!

Well, when you are that old then, indeed, today is the always the best time. One can argue that this is generally true, but when you are young, chances are that you have many good years ahead to enjoy.

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015

Thoughts?
Wait. As long as you can.

I am almost on the same boat as you. I would like to get one of those but I will wait for the third generation at least (hopefully sometime next year). This iMac is really new territory: 5K display and the corresponding graphics requirements in such a tight enclosure, like never seen before. Apple proved in the recent past that it can substantially improve the management of the heat output in the Macbook Pro and, subsequently, the overall user experience. I think similar was the situation with the plain iMac. Of course this depends mainly on newer CPU's and GPU's that are more efficient. Logically, although this is not a guarantee, the same will happen with the 5K iMac.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's the AMD that does it

Wait. As long as you can.

I am almost on the same boat as you. I would like to get one of those but I will wait for the third generation at least (hopefully sometime next year). This iMac is really new territory: 5K display and the corresponding graphics requirements in such a tight enclosure, like never seen before. Apple proved in the recent past that it can substantially improve the management of the heat output in the Macbook Pro and, subsequently, the overall user experience. I think similar was the situation with the plain iMac. Of course this depends mainly on newer CPU's and GPU's that are more efficient. Logically, although this is not a guarantee, the same will happen with the 5K iMac.

They just run hot if they'd gone with NVIDIAs latest mobile GPU's they'd have got much better thermal performance but they are more expensive, this is one of the few times I've disagreed with apples choice of components in the last few years...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.