riMac: on display in store yet? (UK)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LERsince1991, Oct 22, 2014.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Anyone know if the retina iMacs are in display in store yet to see and play with?

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Since launch but mail order only, none in the stores for sale as of Sunday so my 'clever' little friend at one told me. Bit of a huddle round their table areas if it's busy apparently.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. gpcool macrumors newbie

None on display in uk Covent garden store

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It might be a bigger store than that one. I have just sent a message out to the other little birdies I know within the m25 radius..

6. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I'm sure someone reported they'd seen one in London, so it must have been the Regent St. store.

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

My dickie birds say smaller stores are having tables installed tonight

8. Lammers macrumors regular

I'm a little cynical of some of the information being conveyed here about this. One person last Friday said they had spent 30 minutes playing with the retina iMac in a London Apple Store, so I went to Regent Street to be told by staff that they don't have any, that none of the UK Apple Stores have any, and that they don't know when they will get them, but that all stores will get them at the same time.

Similarly, not sure how it would be likely that the retina iMacs are on display in an Apple Store bigger than Covent Garden given that the Covent Garden store was the biggest Apple Store in the world when it opened. And it may even still be.

9. gpcool macrumors newbie

I agree, I doubt whether there was a retina iMac available in a London store last Friday, however I am sure that within the next few days they will appear. I am going to Covent garden on Friday to get my MacBook repaired so will look for new iMacs then.
    Fortunately, I ordered one online so it should be coming soon!

10. Lammers macrumors regular

Well, after all that, I just got off the phone with the Apple Store in Kingston (south-west London), and the guy told me that they have them on display. For some reason I remain cynical, but will head over there shortly and report back.

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I can confirm they have - friend had a genius there this morning and another going later on this afternoon. One of my local stores in the bentall centre. Through main doors up escalator 1st floor on left

12. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Regent Street store London has one, I've just left.

13. Lammers macrumors regular

Well I'm at the Bentalls Centre right now and whilst they do have the retina iMac in stock (the base model only), they do NOT have any out on display for customers to see.

I just had a big moan at the staff there because the guy on the phone had told me unequivocally earlier today that they were out on display. Grrrr.

The staff in the store just now said they are going out on display tonight, so in principle, assuming they know what they are doing this time, they should be in the store for customers to see tomorrow.

14. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

My local store will have display models tomorrow (Braehead, Glasgow) - been checking every day.

15. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

My friend due there shortly won't be happy either. I was told that the shop fitters are doing a lot of London stores overnight tonight earlier, they change the tables where they are placed. I will send an abusive text to the one who went there earlier!

16. seroposi macrumors member

On display and in stock at Watford, Herts

17. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

None on display at the Trafford Centre store. I was advised either later tonight or tomorrow!

18. davys macrumors regular

Buchanan Street never had any on display late afternoon today. I'm told they're hoping to have one on display by Friday, possibly tomorrow as there was a delivery this afternoon which they hadn't got round to inboxing yet, and we're unsure if the retina imac was amongst it.

19. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

This post was written from a Retina display in an Apple Store.

:D

Braehead.

20. davys macrumors regular

You fugger...#

21. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I headed into the store today (Leicester) UK.
    THEY HAVE THEM!

Leicester isn't a big store and they told me that it went on display this morning, so I'm assuming that nearly all stores have now got them on display as they are now available to buy in store (as stocks lost).

Anyway, got what I needed (high resolution screen shots of aerial images via apple maps).

By the way a single screen shot it around 40-50mb (png). I scaled the maps window beyond the visible screen and took a screenshot at 15k x 5k which was nearly 200 mb.

Saves me hours of stitching in Photoshop!