riMac: power-on to chime (12 seconds)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by touchUpInside, Nov 23, 2014.

1. touchUpInside macrumors member

touchUpInside

Just stopped by the Apple store to check this on a store riMac (i5) power-on to chime is about 2 seconds (power-on to log-in, 22 seconds). My riMac (i7) has an additional (10s) delay, so chime takes 12 seconds and log-in 32 seconds. Also, let an Apple store employees talk with a genius and he recommended an SMC reset. He also indicated that I should worry not about it (he was also helping others, so it's unlikely he fully understood the issue).

Talked with Applecare earlier in the week and the person indicated that the chime should occur almost immediately. He also had me try changing a power saving setting, that seemed to help with a sleep issue.

This has occured over several days and doesn't seem correct. Everthing works well otherwise.

2. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You'd want a PRAM reset, not SMC in that case. SMC reset on an iMac is basically just unplugging it.

4. touchUpInside thread starter macrumors member

touchUpInside

Well, it just doesn't seem correct. After pressing the power button, the computer is blank and doesn't respond at all for 12 seconds. Each time I wondered is it turning on or not.

Thanks Brian ! PRAM reset fixed it.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Why not just leave it on all the time? Then your only waking it from sleep. That's what I do with mine. Standby power usage is pretty minimal theses days.