Ring profiles???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afdrookie, Mar 1, 2011.

1. afdrookie macrumors newbie

I have a question about my new iPhone....I came from the dark side and was a prior BlackBerry user. One thing that I did like was that BlackBerry offered different ringer "profiles", i.e. when I plugged in my charger it switched automatically to a custom profile that would shut off ALL sounds except for my phone ringer. I know I can do this on my iPhone manually but is there an app or any other way to do this on the iPhone?? Thanks:confused:

2. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I wish! I, along with many others, submitted this request to Apple ages ago (s/w 3.0 I think) but luckily I didn't hold my breath.

Profiles could be incredibly usefully based on time/day of weekj, location, charge/charging state, free/busy in calendar and a number of other factors.

On my last WinMo phone I had an app that handled almost all of that and also profiles for accepting/rejecting calls from specific groups (family only post 10pm-7am; family and friends outside working hours, all calls at other times, silence in meetings in the calendar &etc. Fantastically useful and sorely missed.

AIUI if you jailbreak there may be an app for that, but Apple should really pull it's finger out and provide this as stock.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It'd be too complicated for the everyday user for Apple to include something like this. I'm sure if you jailbreak though, there will be plenty of options.

4. runofthedill macrumors member

lol, i have an iphone coming from a berry, and that was my friends defense for everything I didn't like about my iphone, he just kept saying its nice cause its simple.

5. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I am truly amazed you said that! :eek: It sounds terribly condescending to several million "everyday" users, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

The "everyday" user may not be very interested in this functionality, but if you can use a finger and a few brain cells to move an on/off slider and set an alarm andr add a calendar entry and add a tag to a contact from a drop down then you could easily use this.

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The iPhone is good at many things - regular phone functionality is not one of those things. I would love ringer profiles. Perhaps the next version of iOS will support it, but - like others have said - don't hold your breath.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It would be nice to have the option. Hopefully Apple will add it in the next iOS. Until then, you can always jailbreak.