Ring/Slient Switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikes63737, Oct 7, 2007.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

One of my major concerns with buying an iPhone is the ring/silent switch. When the phone is locked ("Slide to Unlock") is it possible to change the ring mode with the switch? Also, how easy is it to accidentally flip the switch?

I'm concerned about accidentally changing the mode in an inappropriate place, which would suck.

Thanks.

2. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

It does switch modes even if you don't "slide to unlock". I think it would be pretty difficult to get it to slide without manually doing it due to the resistance of the side switch, and size.

3. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

If you have the phone set to vibrate when in silent mode, when the switch gets flipped from "ring" to "silent", it vibrates for a few seconds -- just in case it gets tripped in your pocket (which is highly unlikely).

Similarly, when first connected to a dock cable or dock when in silent mode, it vibrates momentarily, to remind you, so that you don't miss a call.

4. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Its basically impossible to hit it accidentally. Heck, with my iSkin Revo on it, I can barely flip it when I'm trying to switch it, let alone accidentally.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I agree, often I'll turn my ringer off and forget I did so...it has never accidentally flipped off (or on) for me.

And it's something I do quite often, as one of my professors made it quite clear that cell phone ringing in class = death to student.

6. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I'll ditto the above. The switch is not accidentally moved. The phone does not need to be unlocked. This is an extremely useful feature and a great idea.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Mine has never accidentally switched either. I also really like it being a switch.

I went to the movies last night with some friends. Once we sat down, everyone pulled out their phones flipped them open and went through their respective settings to silence the ringers. I simply pulled it out, flipped the switch, done.

8. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is exactly why I was concerned.

Thank you everyone. Now I have no reason not to get one. :)

9. hobo macrumors regular

I've tripped mine to "ON" during class, twice. It hasn't rung, ever when I thought it was off and it was actually on, though. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, either, as I check it at the start of every class and don't move too much during class. It may just be subconscious playing with the switch...

10. cmaier macrumors G3

I've managed to switch mine to "on" twice as well. No idea how.

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I have switched mine to off a couple times accidently but never on. (I believe its the case I have on it makes it easy to turn the silence on.)

12. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Seriously, if that was the only thing holding you back, then you should have got one a long time ago. :)

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Agreed...get one now. the ringer switch is great and no worries on the accidental switch.

14. I3eXa macrumors 6502

geez i must have a crappy switch cause mine goes to on from vibrate at work in my pants ALL THE TIME!

15. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well... it was that, money, and getting my parents to drive me. Now I have the money and my parents agreed to drive me, so I'm getting one today. :apple:

16. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, will you be paying for the phone completely, and for every bill that comes? I'm conducting an ongoing study of how many young people pay for their own cell phone service.

17. pavvento macrumors 6502

Lately mine has been switching very easily in my pockets. I will set it on silent and while teaching I will feel it vibrate. I will put it on loud and miss 5 calls because it switched back to silent. I haven't had these problems until about 2 weeks ago. I got mine when it came out so I don't know if it's 'normal wear and tear' but the phone is in great condition.

18. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

From the younger people I know it always seems to work one way. As long as the kid/teen pays for the actual cell phone, the parents continue to pay the bill. When I was in high school my parents paid my bill, but if I wanted any phone other than the free one I had to pay for the phone.

As far as the ring/vibrate switch, I have never accidently switched mine to ring or vibrate. The switch is pretty tough to move on accident since it doesn't really stick out from the phone.

19. macrat macrumors regular

You should know that the ringer switch only applies to the telephone ringer. If you have any alarms or alerts activated (calendar or alarm clock), you will still get the alarm/alert sounds even though your iPhone is on vibrate mode.

Best way is simply turning off the phone if you really want to be "isolated" during delicate situations i.e church, funerals, client meetings, seminars, etc. :D

20. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm paying for the phone and the monthly plan. However, I'm on my dad's plan so it only comes out to be $30/month that I have to pay.

I got one yesterday and I tested it at school and work today... it didn't switch. Perfect!

21. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

I didn't pay for the iphone (it was my birthday gift hehe) and here in Costa Rica we have one the lowest priced rate plans, with basic (60 minutes) starting at 7$ (3500 Colones) and each minute you add up is 8.7 cents (30 colones) and each txt message is like 3 colones each (you need to send 150 to be charged 1$). I have this deal with my dad that if I go over 20$ (2-3 hours and a hell lot of sms) I must pay the difference rarely happens and if it does he never charges me hehe. And almost all of my friends don't pay the service since its ridiculously cheap, but many with fancy or advanced phones did in fact pay for the phone itself(I was just lucky that I got on my b-day).

And about the silent/ringer switch its awesome, I never accidentaly switched it and its always in my pocket. Its a hell of a lot better than on my SLVR L7 that i had to go under prefs to set it in silent.

-Victor