Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BinhM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Okay, I get turning on a light when motion is detected on a camera or something (assuming your camera doesn't already do that with its built in lights like the Ring floodlight cam does). Do Homekit cameras actually display anything in the Control Center iteration of the Home app or do you have to open the full Home app to see that? If I've got to open the app, I'm not so much seeing the benefit of that. I already hate that in iOS11 I've got extra clicks/motions to get to my favorite Homekit scenes or accessories now. I do hate that every smart home piece of kit has its own app, but I'm not totally convinced that *everything* is a good use of Homekit.

We are trying to get Ubiquiti Networks to implement support for Apple Homekit on their G3 cameras. No subscription is required and they got all of the bells and whistles. They got tons of features and the platform is very well polished. We just need more people to make a request and give them a good reason fr supporting it. A few of us like myself are investing in Apple Homekit Eco-system and it would be great to come home and have a automation scene and turn off camera notifications then have a good bye or good night scene and it'll switch the push notifications back on for the cameras. I won't be buying any Ring products until they support Apple Homekit. And I won't purchase anything from anyone that requires a subscription fee like ADT and other alarm systems that label them selves as Smart Home Security. Why would I want to pay 50$ a month to have my thermostat, lights, door locks connected to a base station where you can just set it yourselves then purchase a system that use cellular as back up. That is the missing link right now No home security system supports Apple homekit. Maybe Honeywell?

Right now I am using Live watch for my home security system it uses Wifi then my cellular as back and they monitor 24/7 for 19.99 only if they would upgrade their software on the unit, then everything in my home would be connected.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Unfortunate for us, too.

It's really disappointing that we aren't seeing more adoption of HomeKit solutions in the market.

The disappointing thing to me is that there aren't enough solutions out there that hold a high enough bar w/rt security.

HomeKit raises that bar, meaning a lot of solutions just won't implement it because it's harder and/or more expensive.

It's not HomeKit for HomeKit's sake, though that would be convenient. I'd just be happy if the market adopted an ecosystem that has as high of a bar or higher than HomeKit.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm currently using SimpliSafe, and have it working without issue with HomeKit (via HomeBridge). It's SO nice to have this working, so I have scenes set up to open garage door/open back door/disable alarm system all via one voice command.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
I have a feeling that we’re going to see a whole pile of products (including this one) become HomeKit compatible the moment the HomePod is out.

I suspect the delay is as much Apple’s doing. Notice how all the recent compatibility media releases and new bridge announcements (Wemo, Eve, etc) have all but vanished from the internet...

In two months we’ll know. And I suspect Apple has something elseup its sleeve to help boost HomeKit connectivity and range. New Airport ecosystem perhaps?

BinhM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Anyone using this Honeywell Lyric Controller, It says it is Home Kit compatible but I'm not sure if the software has been pushed. https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/general-pages/homekit

Edit: I just got my answer
Hi Binh, Thanks for reaching out with your question. We are working hard at finishing up HomeKit compatibility with our Lyric Controllers. It should be ready by this winter, so please stay tuned for updates! If you have any other questions in the meantime, we'll be here to help. -Grace

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you very much, but no thank you. Goodbye!

My thoughts exactly!

I feel that EVERY home security system should include the following:
Base Station
Keypad (code entry)
- detect Apple Watch / iPhone / Android on geofenced WiFi network for proximity
270 degrees Camera (720 and now 1080P) video with auto motion detection and follow!
- incredibly clear night-vision capability /OR/ with HomeKit Auto On all lights in the home when sensors detect breakin or camera motion detection senses movement.
- Internal 12 hour battery backup and iOS/Android app backup battery detection.
* BONUS: cellular data connection with NanoSIM as a standard!

I'm really curious what Apple users would think if Apple offered their own home security system? Hmm.

PS: Anyone that lives in Condos/Apartments have any recommendations?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I like the looks of that control panel, but that Arctic white color sure is going to get awfully dirty especially if someone has kids that use it too. Over time it won't wear well.

And yeah, they should be supporting Homekit too. I agree with what someone said earlier...it seems like these security products all have something missing in one way or another. But I do like that they are trying.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I've been waiting for an integrated system that I can install in my 84 y/o mom's house, the competition is getting better (with lower prices and more and more features). If they offer HomeKit then they may be a compelling purchase.

They also need to do a combined smoke/CO detector system.

Without HomeKit, no deal.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
My thoughts exactly!

Base Station
Keypad (code entry)
270 degrees Camera (720 and now 1080P) video with auto motion detection and follow!
- incredibly clear night-vision capability /OR/ with HomeKit Auto On all lights in the home when sensors detect breakin or camera motion detection senses movement.

I'm really curious what Apple users would think if Apple offered their own home security system? Hmm.

Imagine if for every category automated equipment you need to use a specific application with it's own central hub, account, IP address, firewall rules, etc... It's a nightmare! But everybody wants to create their own solution, so now we have fragmented technology all over.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Does anyone get leary when more and more of these tech products are asking for your routers password?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
1. But what do you SEE regarding your camera(s) from Control Center? Do you see a thumbnail of the current live picture? If I have to open the Home app fully to get anything from the camera, I might as well open its native app instead.
2. What do you do with a camera when it comes to Siri functionality? I was specifically asking about cameras in regards to Homekit functionality.
3. Given that most camera devices with any sort of smart functionality do require a subscription, I'm not sure this point is so valuable. Although I, too, don't need a different app for each device that I own.

I have Logitech Circle 2, which was recently updated with HomeKit.
  1. Yes, you will see a live stream of the camera (up to 2 simultaneously) on the Home app.
  2. "Hey Siri, show me the backyard camera." It will pop up the Home app with live stream of backyard security camera.
  3. Circle includes 1 day storage for free, which is enough for me. Or I can pay $3.99/camera per month for 2-weeks storage, or $99.99/camera per year for 31-day and person detect and other advanced detect notifications.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
  1. Yes, you will see a live stream of the camera (up to 2 simultaneously) on the Home app.
  2. "Hey Siri, show me the backyard camera." It will pop up the Home app with live stream of backyard security camera.
  3. Circle includes 1 day storage for free, which is enough for me. Or I can pay $3.99/camera per month for 2-weeks storage, or $99.99/camera per year for 31-day and person detect and other advanced detect notifications.
1 and 2. Yes, but I asked about Control Center specifically. If I have to open the full Home app to see my camera, I can just as easily pull up the camera's own app. Being able to ask Siri to show me the camera isn't that much of a selling point to me, so I'm just trying to decide if my stick-in-the-mud-ness about not getting a camera unless it supports HomeKit is warranted or much ado about nothing (for my purposes).
3. Ring still has the subscription area locked up to me at $100/yr for unlimited cameras.

BinhM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017

Could you create a scene lets say you are at home and have the logitech camera not to send push notifications to the iphone/ipad?

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
We are trying to get Ubiquiti Networks to implement support for Apple Homekit on their G3 cameras. No subscription is required and they got all of the bells and whistles. They got tons of features and the platform is very well polished. We just need more people to make a request and give them a good reason fr supporting it. A few of us like myself are investing in Apple Homekit Eco-system and it would be great to come home and have a automation scene and turn off camera notifications then have a good bye or good night scene and it'll switch the push notifications back on for the cameras.
See, that's a use that I could get on board with that I hadn't really thought of. Enabling or disabling *features* of your camera system based on presence/location. I just can't see telling Siri to show you the camera being of that much value, and that's about all I was thinking HomeKit would be good for when it comes to cameras.

Right now it seems that the best, most feature-rich systems are the ones that don't offer the integration that's needed, and the ones that DO offer the integration and are at least decent come with a subscription fee that isn't necessary. I guess it's easier to sell your added services than it is to write instruction manuals that would let someone save all the video to their own DVR or NAS.

Jennifer_Ring

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Seems like none of these smart home products seem to hit the sweet spot, and then when one gets close, it doesn't even support HomeKit.

There’s no plans for HomeKit at this time, but it utilizes Z-Wave and can be integrated with other Z-Wave devices.
[doublepost=1507062817][/doublepost]
Compelling price for monitoring. Have done zero research since just reading about it here. I wonder if it's U.S. based and UL listed. Will have to check. The only thing that gives me pause is relying on my WiFi for security. My WiFi generally is pretty good but does briefly crap out from time to time. Not a problem when streaming because of the caching but a delayed entry signal... that could be a problem.

Lack of Homekit is also a downer. I don't know why Apple doesn't better incentivize manufacturers to incorporate HomeKit. I know Apple has eased up on requirements and also now has a demo area in stores but it's still seems like it's a red-headed stepchild when it could be a central feature of iOS and Mac.

Just to clarify- If you sign up for the Protect Plus plan, you will have cellular backup :)
[doublepost=1507063436][/doublepost]
I have been all in with Ring , before they were Ring (Dorbot)
I have their outdoor cameras,this option really looks good to me.
I have Simply Safe security system, it also has iPhone alert and arming and disarming by iPhone--like it.
I think this new option will be a great fit for me.
Thanks for being part of the Ring Community :)
[doublepost=1507063539][/doublepost]
Ring? So, what, you press it and die a week later? I'll pass.
I'm not quite sure I understand, but would be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to email me at jennifer@ring.com :)
[doublepost=1507063741][/doublepost]
This Ring system doesn't look like you can buy additional sensors, unless I'm missing something?
You can preorder as many additional Contact Sensors and Motion Detectors as you would like! Find them, here: https://ring.com/products
[doublepost=1507064514][/doublepost]
My thoughts exactly!

Base Station
Keypad (code entry)

Just to Chime in- the Ring Protect Security Kit, comes equipped with 1 Base Station, 1 Keypad, 1 Contact Sensor, 1 Motion Detector, and 1 Range Extender. You're able to preorder additional sensors as well! You will receive notifications through your Smartphone and have an experienced response team that’s geared for 24/7 professional monitoring. They have the ability and resources to monitor efficiently and dispatch emergency service as needed. That will be with the purchase of our Ring Protect Plus Plan, that also gives you cellular backup. You can find more information, here: https://ring.com/protect-plans. That plan also allows you to download/access/share any past videos on your Ring Doorbells or Security Cams. Hope this helps!

BinhM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
There’s no plans for HomeKit at this time, but it utilizes Z-Wave and can be integrated with other Z-Wave devices.

Just to clarify- If you sign up for the Protect Plus plan, you will have cellular backup :)
I'm not quite sure I understand, but would be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to email me at jennifer@ring.com :)
You can preorder as many additional Contact Sensors and Motion Detectors as you would like! Find them, here: https://ring.com/products

Just to Chime in- the Ring Protect Security Kit, comes equipped with 1 Base Station, 1 Keypad, 1 Contact Sensor, 1 Motion Detector, and 1 Range Extender. You're able to preorder additional sensors as well! You will receive notifications through your Smartphone and have an experienced response team that’s geared for 24/7 professional monitoring. They have the ability and resources to monitor efficiently and dispatch emergency service as needed. That will be with the purchase of our Ring Protect Plus Plan, that also gives you cellular backup. You can find more information, here: https://ring.com/protect-plans. That plan also allows you to download/access/share any past videos on your Ring Doorbells or Security Cams. Hope this helps!

Aesthetically the base station is not pleasing at all, I would rather have a tablet looking touch-panel on my wall.
[doublepost=1507067329][/doublepost]2 things that are stopping me from buying the Ring Home Security.
  1. Apple Homekit Support
  2. Base Station needs to be more aesthetically pleasing. I would like to stick it on the wall and I would prefer it to be a tablet touchscreen panel

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Thanks for providing info on this, Jennifer. Can you chime in on the battery life of the keypad? This really is a LOT cheaper than SimpliSafe, so it's definitely under consideration...

Thanks!
[doublepost=1507068396][/doublepost]
Aesthetically the base station is not pleasing at all, I would rather have a tablet looking touch-panel on my wall.
[doublepost=1507067329][/doublepost]2 things that are stopping me from buying the Ring Home Security.
  1. Apple Homekit Support
  2. Base Station needs to be more aesthetically pleasing. I would like to stick it on the wall and I would prefer it to be a tablet touchscreen panel

A tablet base station on the wall is easily smashed, thereby preventing the device from "calling home" in the event of an emergency. What it looks like should be irrelevant, as you'll want to hide it away from the world in case of a break-in.

Agreed on the HomeKit integration. This would be a 100% done deal if it had the feature.
[doublepost=1507069985][/doublepost]Hell, decided why not... I called and found out the keypad has a rechargeable battery that will last 6-12 months depending on usage. Good enough for me. This will save me a ton of money per month vs SimpliSafe. Even without the convenience of HomeKit, $100 per year versus $300 per year makes the decision pretty easy...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.