Ringer switch broken off, will ATT help me?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ILBandit, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ILBandit macrumors regular

I have the all the luck. I live 2 hours from the nearest Apple store. (Chicago), I was just at the Chicago store from 11 am - noon today. And of course... on the way home, I went to switch to vibrate, and my switch broke right off the phone.

I don't really want to have to go back to Chicago just for this. Has anyone had this happen, and had any luck with ATT just giving them a replacement?? I searched the forums, and it looks like the Apple stores will give you a new phone without much hassle, but I didn't see anyone mention what AT&T would do?
    I would much rather just go to ATT with it.

ATT - 15 miles
    Apple - 120 miles

P.S. my phone is only about 1/2 year old, so it IS still under warranty.

2. lovemyiphone macrumors member

They should without any problems. That happened to me and they replaced mine.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im almost certain you will have to go deal with apple as its a hardware issue

4. P Mentior macrumors regular

When my dad had to get his replaced because of its horrible signal strength he first went to at&t and they told him that they don't replace the units and that he needed to go to an Apple store for that.

If you really can't get out to one i suppose that you could call support and send it in to the service center but then you would be without a phone for a while.

5. ILBandit thread starter macrumors regular

Got my answer today

Well, I called ATT finally, and told them of my situation. They said it was an Apple issue, not an ATT issue. So I have to deal with Apple.

Hate to loose my phone while sending it in for a repair, but don't have time to make the 2 hour trek to Chicago or Schaumburg very soon. I might just have to bite the bullet, and throw my sim card in the old Razr for a few days, to send it in for repairs / replacement. :( That sucks..

Probably wait until after the holidays to do it though.

Can anybody tell me how quick Apples turn around is? The guy on the phone told me 3 days. I am kinda doubtful about that, but that sue would be great!!

Anyone out there have any experience with sending a phone in via mail for repairs?

6. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

My iPhone is kinda broken too here in the Netherlands and T-Mobile just doesn't replace them. They take them in for repair, and if they can repair them it takes at least 2 weeks. If they replace it, too. Be glad you just get a new one there. Everything is repaired here and takes looong.